This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||New York, US|
|Occupation||Chairman emeritus, A+E Networks|
|Spouse(s)||Martin S. Tackel (lawyer)|
Abbe Raven is the current chairman emeritus of A+E Networks. Raven retired from her role as chairman on February 2, 2015. She is also the former president and CEO of A+E Networks. Raven is one of the original founders of The History Channel and is the longest running employee at the company. She began her career at A+E Networks 32 years ago as a production assistant. 
Background and education
Raven was born and raised in Queens, New York. In 1974, she received her B.A. in Theatre from the State University of New York at Buffalo. She met her husband, Martin Tackel, while in school. Tackel is an attorney and a commercial arbitrator.
After graduating from UB, Raven was a stage manager for off-Broadway and regional theatre. She took an opportunity to work for a company that was just starting, A&E. She was promoted to Senior Vice President and put in charge of all production, post-production, and studio facilities. Raven then transferred to A&E's "The History Channel” as the Executive Vice President and General Manager and was in charge of all programming.
In June 2013, Raven became Chairman of A+E Networks.
Achievement and recognition
While Raven was President and CEO, A+E Networks tripled its earnings.
In 2011, Raven also received the New York Women in Communications Matrix Award.
Raven sits on the Board of Pencil and continues to serve as “Principal for a Day” and mentor at her NYC High.
She currently serves as vice chairman on the board of directors of the NCTA (National Cable Television Association)  as well as the advisory board of the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. She also serves on the boards of NAMIC (National Association of Minorities in Cable) Foundation and the CTAM Educational Foundation. Raven is a Director of the International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and is on their Executive Committee.
- "A+E Networks chairman Abbe Raven to retire next year". realscreen.com. Real Screen. Retrieved 3 Nov 2013.
- "Cable Pioneer Abbe Raven to Retire as A+E Networks Chairman Post". Variety. Retrieved 2 Nov 2014.
- "A+E Networks Profile". www.aenetworks.com. A+E Networks. Archived from the original on 26 June 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "The Breast Cancer Research Foundation Announces New Board Members". www.bcrfcure.org. Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Retrieved 16 Dec 2014.
- "History in the Making". www.buffalo.edu. UB Today. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "HTackel & Varachi Partner Profile". www.tackelvarachi.com. Tackel & Varachi. Archived from the original on 2015-02-12. Retrieved 11 Feb 2015.
- "THIS SLAVE FILM SHOULDN'T MAKE HISTORY". www.nydailynews.com. NY Daily News. 3 Dec 1997.
- "The Past Is Its Present and Future". www.latimes.com. LA Times Today. Retrieved 30 Sep 2001.
- "Abbe Raven Elevated To New Role as Chairman of A+E Networks; Nancy Dubuc Named President & Chief Executive Officer". www.hearst.com. Hearst. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "AAbbe Raven To Retire As A+E Networks Chairman". www.deadline.com. Deadline. Retrieved 2 Nov 2014.
- "ANSTROM AND RAVEN TOP LIST OF NCTA'S 2005 VANGUARD HONOREES". www.ncta.com. NCTA. Retrieved 23 Feb 2005.
- "2007 Preserve America Presidential Awards Presented". www.preserveamerica.gov. Preserve America. Retrieved 7 May 2009.
- "President and CEO, A&E Television Networks, 2010 Cable Hall of Fame". www.cablecenter.org. Preserve America. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Hush, Michele (2011), Abbe Raven, New York Women in Communications
- "50 MOST POWERFUL WOMEN IN BUSINESS". www.fortune.com. Fortune. Retrieved 8 Oct 2012.
- "Abbe Raven Elected to PENCIL Board of Directors". www.pencil.org. Pencil. Archived from the original on 2015-02-10. Retrieved 6 Oct 2014.
- "NMAH". www.c-span.org. C-Span. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "ncta welcome, abbe raven". americanhistory.si.edu. NCTA. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Educational Foundation Board". www.ctam.com. CTAM. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "A+E Networks Chairman Abbe Raven Joins International TV Academy Executive Committee". www.hollywoodreporter.com. Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 Dec 2013.
- Goldsmith, Jill (September 9, 2012), "Raven rises after modest start; Showman of the Year 2012: A+E Networks", Variety
- Board, National Museum of American History
- Muhr, Jeffrey, ed. (2014), Abbe Raven (1953-), Detroit: Biography and Genealogy Master Index – via Gale (subscription required)
- "Abbe Raven", Contemporary Theatre, Film and Television (Biography in Context), 101, Detroit: – via Gale (subscription required), 2010