Accomable was an accessible travel startup that helped disabled people find and book adapted holiday accommodation worldwide online. Founded by Srin Madipalli and Martyn Sibley, two childhood friends who have Spinal Muscular Atrophy, the company was based in London, and was acquired by Airbnb in 2017.
Accomable listed holiday accommodations with a range of accessibility features, including step-free entry, roll-in showers, hoists, height-adjustable beds and other equipment for guests with disabilities.
Accomable CEO and co-founder, Srin Madipalli, developed the concept for Accomable in 2011 while travelling on a six month break from his City law job in London. Madipalli quit his law job and enrolled as an MBA at Saïd Business School (2013) where he developed an interest in tech and startups. The site was launched in the summer of 2015.
In May 2016, Accomable secured £300,000 seed funding from undisclosed private investors. The company also received a grant from the Skoll Centre for Entrepreneurship based at Oxford University, where Mr Madipalli did his MBA, via an initiative to support ventures that deliver social impact.
An Accomable documentary short film was shortlisted at the 2015 UN Enable Film Festival in New York.
In 2017, Airbnb acquired Accomable for an undisclosed amount to improve accessibility across the platform. As part of the acquisition, Srin Madipalli joined Airbnb as Accessibility Product and Program Manager in San Francisco.
- "Airbnb buys 'Airbnb for disabled people' startup Accomable in accessibility upgrade – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- "'Disabled Airbnb' bought by Airbnb". BBC News. 2017-11-16. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- Coldwell, Will (2017-11-27). "Access all areas: Airbnb expands into stays for disabled travellers". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- "How Accomable founder Srin Madipalli is making travelling for people with disabilities easier". TODAYonline. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- "Accomable: Airbnb-style site shakes up mobility travel". CNN Travel. 2016-02-18. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- Collins, Katie. "Accomable is sharing economy travel honed for disabled people". Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- "Accomable wants to solve the accessible holiday search problem – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- "United Nations Enable Film Festival (UNEFF) | United Nations Enable". www.un.org. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- Carson, Biz. "Airbnb Acquires Accomable In Push To Better Accommodate Travelers With Disabilities". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-05-15.