This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origins||Merger of Peninsula Conservation Center Foundation (PCCF) and Bay Area Action (BAA), 2000|
|SF Bay area|
|Method||Community partnerships, Volunteer projects|
|Adam Stern, Executive Director|
|Donations and Grants|
|Slogan||Bringing people together to create local solutions for a healthy planet.|
Acterra: Action for a Healthy Planet is a nonprofit environmental education and action organization based in Palo Alto, California. Acterra has its headquarters at the Peninsula Conservation Center, located at 3921 East Bayshore Road, Palo Alto. The PCC building is also home to several other local environmental organizations.
Acterra's mission is to bring people together to create local solutions for a healthy planet. Growing out of the merger in 2000 of two older organizations, Peninsula Conservation Center Foundation (founded 1970) and Bay Area Action (founded 1990), Acterra's long history draws on two generations of environmental leaders in serving the San Francisco Peninsula and South Bay. Acterra's programs provide hands-on opportunities for ordinary people to make a difference where they live, work, learn, worship and play. Acterra's core values emphasize community, optimism and a lively, spirited approach to resolving serious environmental issues.
Acterra addresses global climate change through the following programs and fiscally sponsored projects:
- The Business Environmental Awards recognizes Bay Area businesses for innovative work in conservation, pollution prevention and environmental education.
- Green@Home engages residents in measuring and reducing their energy use.
- Grassroots Ecology (formerly the Acterra Stewardship Program) provides volunteer land and watershed stewardship opportunities, nature education, and a native plant nursery. Grassroots Ecology became an independent fiscally sponsored project of Acterra on July 1, 2016.
- The Environmental Library and Resource Centre provides environmental books, videos, and reference information.
- Global warming
- Earth Science
- Natural environment
- Arastradero Preserve
- Committee for Green Foothills