This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The video cover for Afrodite Superstar
|Directed by||Venus Hottentot|
|Produced by||Candida Royalle|
Afrodite Superstar is an American independent art film shot in New York City in 2006. The film has also been referred to as erotica. The director also refers to the film as an experimental film as the characters break the fourth wall, and there is a blend of satire. Afrodite Superstar was directed by Venus Hottentot. Executive producer Candida Royalle is also credited with directing the sexual scenes. Afrodite Superstar has been endorsed by American Association of Sexual Educators, Counselors and Therapists and premiered in 2007 at the New School for Social Research with a discussion about women of color and sexual images. The film subsequently screened as part of an art exhibit called Hos, Putas and Dragon Ladies: Our Sexuality Remixed at the chashama Gallery in Manhattan. Afrodite Superstar was nominated for 7 AVN Awards in 2007 including "Best Director", "Best Screenplay" and "Best Musical Score." The film was referred to as "erotic" and "cerebral" in Essence Magazine, and was mentioned in the Village Voice's 2007 Sexy Gift Guide by sexpert Tristan Taormino.
The satirical film spoofs several recent pop cultural It Girl moments such as Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction and Ashlee Simpson's lip synching fiasco. It has also been called an African American Red Shoe Diaries.
Afrodite Superstar was directed by art filmmaker Venus Hottentot.
Venus Hottentot is a feminist art school graduate who wanted to make a film that showed positive sexual representations of women of color to directly contrast the images in pop culture music videos, films and magazines, while also employing comedy and satire. She chose the name Venus Hottentot to reclaim the spirit of a South African woman, also called Saartjie Baartman, who was sexually displayed and exploited in Europe. The film quotes Gloria Steinem and bell hooks, and the director has been called the Zane of filmmaking. Venus Hottentot does not use the word "porn" to describe Afrodite Superstar as this term is misleading for this film. To this end, the film has drawn ire from those seeking to use it for pornographic purposes as porn/ audience arousal was not the director's mission. As an African American filmmaker, her objective with this project was reclaiming the voice and expression of women of color, as well as raising sexual self-esteem.
- Afrodite Superstar, Afrodite Exposed, Sexual Empowerment in an Adult Hip Hop Film, Afrodite Superstar, Abiola Abrams, Venus Hottentot, Candida Royalle, Natasha Cortes, Simone Valentino, India, Mr. Marcus, Justin Long, Sativa Verte, Jay Junker, Liliana Vel Archived July 23, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- this citation is provided to verify the exhibit, but does not include reference to the film.[dead link]
- Try This At Home : Essence.com Archived 2007-12-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- Tristan Taormino (2007-11-27). "> people > Pucker Up: Eighth Annual Sexy Gift Guide by Tristan Taormino". village voice. Archived from the original on 2008-07-24. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "Sex toys reviews – AfroDite Superstar - Erotic video - Erotic and educational media". Edenfantasys.com. 2007-06-29. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "TruMix.com : PodcastDirectory.com : Professor P's P4NORAMA Podcast". PodcastDirectory.com. 2007-07-04. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "Afrodite Superstar". Venushottentot.com. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- Abiola Abrams' Film Page Archived May 31, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Afrodite Superstar at the Internet Movie Database
- Director Venus Hottentot
- Afrodite Superstar Feedback
- Producer Royalle
- Essence Magazine mention
- Film Review
- Canadian Newspaper Interview
- Afrodite Superstar Trailer
- Critical Article
- Village Voice Mention
- Archived Afrodite Superstar University Premiere Info
- Candida Royalle in NY Post
- American Association of Sexuality Educators
On the Original Hottentot Venus
- A French print
- Mara Verna's interactive audio and video piece including a bibliography
- Video Girls & Hottentot Venus
- Guardian article on the return of her remains
- South Africa government site about her, including Diana Ferrus's pivotal poem
- A documentary film called The Life and Times of Sara Baartman by Zola Maseko