After School (app)
|Type||Anonymous social network|
|Discontinued||Yes, service is offline|
|Discontinued||1.99.94 (iOS) / February 18, 2019|
|Operating system(s)||Android, iOS|
After School was a proprietary iOS and Android, social network mobile application that allows users in a defined network, aimed at high schools, to share anonymous text-based posts and images with others. As of July 2016, After School had users at more than 20,000 American high schools.
The app, created by Michael Callahan and Cory Levy of ONE, Inc., debuted in mid-November 2014. In the re-release of the app in April 2015, After School implemented “mature content” filters, age verification, 24/7 live anonymous support, and FIRST (Fastest Internet Response System for Threats). In February 2016, After School announced raising a $16.4 million Series A round. The app also detects threatening or harmful messages using "language algorithms" and "enforces a single-report immediate user removal for violations."
- "AfterSchool". afterschoolapp.com. Archived from the original on 2014-11-25. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- Wagner, Kurt. "Who Is Behind After School, the Anonymous App Taking Over American High Schools?". recode.com. re/code. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Crisis Text Line Brings Help to Troubled Teens Where They Live — Their Phones". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- journalist, Larry Magid Technology (2016-02-03). "After School App Designed to Promote Kindness Say Founders | Huffington Post". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Larson, Selena. "After School attempts a comeback with bans on bullying". Dailydot.com. The Daily Dot. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "First". AfterSchoolApp.com. After School. Archived from the original on 12 January 2015. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- Thadani, Trisha (2018-01-29). "Anonymous app for teens tries to keep bullying at bay". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Polarchy, Michael (2018-02-28). "After School app raises concerns of bullying, inappropriate activity". Fox 8.
- "I-Team: After School App-What You Need to Know". YouTube: FOX 5 Atlanta.