Agostinho Barbosa (Agostino, Augustinus) (17 September 1589, at Aldão, Guimarães, Portugal – 22 March 1649, in Ugento, Italy) was a prolific Portuguese writer on canon law. His work included dictionary-type surveys of the legal elements.
Having studied canon law in Portugal, he went to Rome. Being without the means to purchase books, he memorized their contents in libraries. About 1632 he went to Madrid, where he applied himself to writing and fulfilled various duties confided to him until 1648. He was consecrated Bishop of Ugento in Rome on 22 March 1649.
His works fill at least 30 volumes. They show intimate acquaintance with authors, sources, and controversial questions such as the following:
- "Pastoralis Sollicitudinis, sive de Officio et Potestate Episcopi Tripartita Descriptio" (Rome, 1621; Lyons, 1629; in folio, 1641, 1650, etc.).
- "Variae Juris Tractationes", a similar work relating to parish priests was published in Rome in 1632, Lyons, 1634, Geneva, 1662, Venice, 1705, in quarto; in folio, Lyons, 1631 and 1644, Strasburg, 1652.
- "Juris Ecclesiastici Universi Libri III" (Lyons, 1633, 1645, 1718).
All the canonical works of Barbosa were published at Lyons, 1657–75, in 19 vols. In quinto, 16 vols. in folio, and again, 1698–1716, 20 vols. in quinto, 18 vols. in folio.
- Hurter in Kirchenlexikon, s. v.
- Franz Xavier Wernz, Jus Decretalium (Rome, 1898), I, 408.
- António Manuel Hespanha, Form and content in early modern legal books: Bridging material bibliography with history of legal thought (PDF, p. 20), = Portuguese Journal of Social Science, Volume 6, Issue 1, August 2007, pp. 33-59. Archived August 12, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Constant van de Wiel, History of Canon Law (1991), p. 160.
- Gauchat, Patritius (Patrice) (1935). Hierarchia catholica medii et recentioris aevi. Vol. IV. Münster: Libraria Regensbergiana. p. 351. (in Latin)
- Codex Iuris Canonici
- Cheney, David M. "Diocese of Ugento–Santa Maria di Leuca". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. Retrieved June 16, 2018. (for Chronology of Bishops) [self-published]
- Chow, Gabriel. "Diocese of Ugento–Santa Maria di Leuca (Italy)". GCatholic.org. Retrieved June 16, 2018. (for Chronology of Bishops) [self-published]
- Catholic Encyclopedia article
- Tarlton Law Library page
|Catholic Church titles|
| Bishop of Ugento