Air Energy AE-1 Silent
The Air Energy AE-1 Silent is a German self-launching ultralight sailplane powered by an electric motor. Designed and built by Air Energy, the AE-1 Silent is also marketed by Alisport of Italy, see Alisport Silent 2 Targa.
Design and development
The Silent is a conventional composite monoplane glider with a retractable 13 kW (17 hp) electric motor driving a 1.92m propeller.
The aircraft was originally marketed with a nickel–cadmium battery pack, but in 2005 this was replaced with a lithium polymer battery system that gives three times the range of the early installation.
Data from manufacturer
- Crew: 1
- Wingspan: 12 m (39 ft 4 in)
- Wing area: 10.3 m2 (111 ft2)
- Aspect ratio: 14
- Empty weight: 195 kg (430 lb)
- Gross weight: 300 kg (661 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Battery-powered electric motor, 13 kW (17 hp)
- Maximum speed: 180 km/h (112 mph)
- Service ceiling: 2000 m (6560 ft)
- Rate of climb: 2.2 m/s (433 ft/min)
- Rate of sink: 0.78 m/s (154 ft/min)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Air Energy.|
|This article on an aircraft of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|