Design and development
The aircraft was designed to comply with the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale microlight category, including the category's maximum gross weight of 450 kg (992 lb). The aircraft has a maximum gross weight of 401 kg (884 lb). It features a cable-braced hang glider-style high-wing, weight-shift controls, a two-seats-in-tandem open cockpit, tricycle landing gear and a single engine in pusher configuration.
The aircraft's Wizard model wing is made from bolted-together aluminium tubing, with its single surface covered in Dacron sailcloth. Its 9.96 m (32.7 ft) span wing is supported by a single tube-type kingpost and uses an "A" frame control bar. The standard powerplant is the 37 kW (50 hp) Rotax 503 twin cylinder, air-cooled, two-stroke aircraft engine.
When introduced the Redback was a single configuration model, with no cockpit fairing and no options available. In 2012 the model has evolved and offers tundra tires, intake and exhaust silencer, training bars and an aero-tow system as optional equipment.
Reviewers Noel Bertrand et al., writing about the no-options approach in 2003 said, "The Red Back only exists in one configuration with no options — an intelligent course of action taken by this Australian manufacturer made possible by the very complete specification...All the right ingredients are there; Australian and American pilots adore them."
- Redback Wizard
- Initial model circa 2003 with 37 kW (50 hp) Rotax 503, the Wizard wing and no options available.
- X-Series Redback
- Later version circa 2012 with 37 kW (50 hp) Rotax 503, the Wizard-3 wing and limited options.
Specifications (Redback Wizard)
Data from Bertrand
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Wingspan: 9.96 m (32 ft 8 in)
- Wing area: 17.6 m2 (189 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 165 kg (364 lb)
- Gross weight: 401 kg (884 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 44 litres (9.7 imp gal; 12 US gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 503 twin cylinder, two-stroke, air-cooled aircraft engine, 37 kW (50 hp)
- Maximum speed: 93 km/h (58 mph; 50 kn)
- Cruise speed: 67 km/h (42 mph; 36 kn)
- Stall speed: 45 km/h (28 mph; 24 kn)
- Rate of climb: 2.9 m/s (570 ft/min)
- Bertrand, Noel; Rene Coulon; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2003-04, page 92. Pagefast Ltd, Lancaster OK, 2003. ISSN 1368-485X
- Airborne Windsports (2011). "X-Series Redback". Retrieved 15 January 2012.
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 202. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Airborne Windsports.|