Akai Ito (film)
Poster advertising Akai Ito in Japan
|Directed by||Shosuke Murakami|
|Produced by||Yoshihiko Takeda|
|Written by||Chiho Watanabe, Ritsuko Hanzawa|
|Story by||Mei (Akai Ito)|
|Starring||Nao Minamisawa, Junpei Mizobata|
Akai Ito (赤い糸), also known under the English title Threads of Destiny, is a 2008 Japanese film. It is based on the popular cellphone novel written by Mei, and is released at the same time with the television series of the same name.
Mei has been in love with Yuya all her life. They've grown up together. But when they reach their second year of middle school, Yuya suddenly professes his love for her older sister, Haruna.
Struggling to rebound from her decade-long crush, Mei finds comfort in the close camaraderie of her school friends, Taka, Mia, Yuri, Natsu, Mitsu and Sara and then meets a reticent and gentle-natured boy named Atsushi. The two begin to realize that they share many things in common that seem to transcend mere coincidence: the same birthday (February 29, 1992) and a previous encounter when they were both 8. Feeling a bond of fate, they grow closer.
But destiny can have a dark side to it, too, and a shocking revelation from both of their pasts compels Atsushi to pull away from Mei. The devastating separation then unleashes a wave of misfortune upon Mei: the death of a loved one, drug addiction and domestic violence. As circumstances seek to take control of her life, Mei struggles to maintain her faith in the tenuous thread of destiny that will reunite her with her true love.
- Nao Minamisawa as Mei Takemiya
- Junpei Mizobata as Atsushi Nishino
- Ryo Tajima as Kamiya Mitsuru
- Sayuri Iwata as Haruna Takemiya
- Ryo Kimura as Riku Takahashi
- Rei Okamoto as Mia Amagishi
- Anna Ishibashi as Asami Tadokoro
- Nanami Sakuraba as Sara Nakagawa
- Tomo Yanagishita as Natsuki Fujiwara
- Hiroshi Yazaki as Yuya Shinozaki
- Kasumi Suzuki as Yuri Nakanishi
- Kaoru Hirata as Miyabi Kawaguchi
- Ryuya Wakaba as Shu Yasuda
- Mirai Yamamoto as Natsumi Nishino
- Shigemitsu Ogi as Takamichi Morisaki
- Noriko Watanabe as Sachiko Takemiya
- Kenji Matsuda as Koichi Murakoshi
- Kosuke Suzuki
- Michiko Iwahashi
- Mio Miyatake as the young version of Mei Takemiya
- "goo movies film summary". goo movies (in Japanese). Retrieved 2011-06-14.