Spence in 2014
|No. 97 Detroit Lions|
|Date of birth:||November 29, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Navarre, Florida|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||307 lb (139 kg)|
|High school:||Fort Walton Beach (FL)|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 4 / Pick: 100|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 14, 2016|
Akeem Spence (born November 29, 1991) is an American football defensive tackle for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Illinois.
Spence was born in Navarre, Florida. He attended Fort Walton Beach High School, and played for the Fort Walton Beach Vikings high school football team. He recorded 80 tackles and five sacks as a senior and helped lead team to a 10-2 record and district championship. Posted 67 tackles, 16 tackles for loss and two sacks in 2007 as a junior. Rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, he accepted an athletic scholarship from the University of Illinois over offers from Iowa State and Syracuse.
While attending the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, Spence played for the Illinois Fighting Illini football team from 2009 to 2012. After redshirting in 2009, he started all 13 games at defensive tackle alongside All-American Corey Liuget. He had 45 tackles, four tackles for a loss, one quarterback sacks, two hurries and one fumble recovery on the season. In 2011, he started all 13 games on the season, he finished ranked fourth on the team with 69 tackles on the season, including 5.5 tackles for a loess and 1.5 sacks. As a redshirt junior, he started all 12 games in 2012 and started all 38 games of his college career at defensive tackle. He ranked third on the team in tackles with 72 and tied for second on team with 7.0 tackles for a loss and had one sack.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 1⁄2 in||307 lb||33 1⁄2 in||10 in||5.09 s||1.74 s||2.81 s||4.72 s||7.82 s||30 in||8 ft 11 in||37 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On April 27, 2013, Spence was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fourth round (100th overall pick) of the 2013 NFL Draft. The Buccaneers signed him to a rookie contract on May 15, 2013. Spence signed his contract on May 15, 2013, a four-year deal that’s worth $2,644,424. Spence collected a $484,424 signing bonus.
- Illinois' Akeem Spence to enter NFL draft
- Report: Illini's Spence to enter NFL draft
- Associated Press, "Fourth-round draft pick Akeem Spence agrees to contract with Buccaneers," The Washington Post (May 15, 2013). Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "Bucs put Akeem Spence on IR, promote Mike James". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Lions sign unrestricted free agent DT Akeem Spence". DetroitLions.com. March 10, 2017.
- CBS Sports, "Bucaneers DT Akeem Spence Arrested in Alabama," CBS Sports (January 15, 2014). Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Yasinskas, Pat. "Akeem Spence suspended one game following marijuana arrest". ESPN. Retrieved 19 August 2015.