Alan Ebringer B.Sc, MD, FRCP, FRACP, FRCPath (born 12 February 1936) is an Australian immunologist, professor at King’s College in the University of London. He is also an Honorary Consultant Rheumatologist in the Middlesex Hospital, now part of the UCH School of Medicine. He is known for his research in the field of autoimmune disease.
Early life and education
Ebringer was educated in Melbourne High School, and graduated in Medicine from the University of Melbourne.
He moved to London in the 1970s, working first with Ivan Roitt in the Department of Immunology at the Middlesex Hospital. In 1972, he formed the Immunology Unit at Queen Elizabeth College, now linked to King’s College which was located in the Departments of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Biology studying autoimmune diseases. About 22 Ph.D. students graduated from the Immunology Unit over the subsequent thirty years.
Ebringer was among the first to investigate the relationship between autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis and certain intestinal bacteria, klebsiella in particular. His findings have been cited by proponents of herbal medicine gluten-free diets.
Ebringer is the author of several books on the subject of autoimmune disease, including Rheumatoid arthritis and Proteus. and Ankylosing spondylitis and Klebsiella (Springer publications) He also published a number of articles on the subject in peer reviewed journals.
- Duncan Dartrey Adams; Christopher Dartrey Adams (13 August 2013). Autoimmune Disease: Pathogenesis, Genetics, Immunotherapy, Prophylaxis and Principles for Organ Transplantation. Springer Science & Business Media. pp. 44–. ISBN 978-94-007-6937-3.
- New Scientist. IPC Magazines. 1995.
- Leo Galland, M.D. (2 February 2011). Power Healing: Use the New Integrated Medicine to Cure Yourself. Random House Publishing Group. pp. 134–. ISBN 978-0-307-77938-0.
- Kerry Bone; Simon Mills (8 January 2013). Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy: Modern Herbal Medicine. Elsevier Health Sciences. pp. 155–. ISBN 0-7020-5297-3.
- Lucille Cholerton (1 February 2012). Spotlight on Gluten: New Symptoms for the New Millennium? Or Long-Standing Symptoms Now Being Recognized?. Strategic Book Publishing. pp. 50–. ISBN 978-1-61204-110-0.
- Ellen Kamhi; Eugene R. Zampieron (9 May 2012). An Alternative Medicine Guide to Arthritis: Reverse Underlying Causes of Arthritis with Clinically Proven Alternative Therap ies. Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. pp. 578–. ISBN 978-0-307-78956-3.
- Eugene R. Zampieron; Ellen Kamhi (1999). Arthritis: An Alternative Medicine Definitive Guide. AlternativeMedicine.com Books. ISBN 978-1-887299-15-2.