Alan W. Heldman, M.D. (born 1962) is an American interventional cardiologist.
Heldman graduated from Harvard College, University of Alabama School of Medicine, and completed residency and fellowship training at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He held positions on the faculty of Johns Hopkins from 1995 to 2007. In 2007 he became Clinical Chief of Cardiology at the University of Miami, Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine.
He published one of the first studies showing that a drug-coated stent (now known as a drug-eluting stent) could prevent restenosis. His research interests include delivery of stem cells to the heart for repair of myocardial infarction. He is the principal investigator for a Phase I-II clinical trial of stem cell therapy for patients with left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction.
His clinical interests include high risk and complex coronary intervention, treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, including with alcohol septal ablation, non-surgical treatments for valvular and structural heart disease, and strategies to eliminate complications from interventional cardiology procedures.
- Heldman, AW; Cheng, L; Jenkins, GM; Heller, PF; Kim, DW; Ware Jr, M; Nater, C; Hruban, RH; et al. (2001). "Paclitaxel stent coating inhibits neointimal hyperplasia at 4 weeks in a porcine model of coronary restenosis". Circulation 103 (18): 2289–95. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.103.18.2289. PMID 11342479.
- Heldman, AW; Hare, JM (2008). "Cell therapy for myocardial infarction: Special delivery". Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology 44 (3): 473–6. doi:10.1016/j.yjmcc.2007.10.024. PMC 2754212. PMID 18234211.
- Amado, LC; Saliaris, AP; Schuleri, KH; St John, M; Xie, JS; Cattaneo, S; Durand, DJ; Fitton, T; et al. (2005). "Cardiac repair with intramyocardial injection of allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells after myocardial infarction". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102 (32): 11474–9. doi:10.1073/pnas.0504388102. PMC 1183573. PMID 16061805.
- Heldman, AW; Wu, KC; Abraham, TP; Cameron, DE (2007). "Myectomy or alcohol septal ablation surgery and percutaneous intervention go another round". Journal of the American College of Cardiology 49 (3): 358–60. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2006.10.029. PMID 17239718.
- NBC News, Stem Cell Therapy for Heart Disease
- Division of Cardiology at the University of Miami
- Hopkins Heart Institute Cardiovascular Report, Spring 2005
- "New Beat, All Heart" by Mary Ellen Miller
- NIH 2006 Research Festival: "Development of the Taxol-coated Stent - Steven Sollott (NIA) Alan Heldman (JHMI)
- Resuscitation from Right Ventricular Infarction
- Stents of a New Stripe