Alan Jacobs (academic)
Alan Jacobs (born 1958) is a scholar of English literature, writer, and literary critic. He is a distinguished professor of the humanities in the Honors Program of Baylor University.
Jacobs earned a B.A. from the University of Alabama in 1980 and a PhD from the University of Virginia in 1987. He was the Clyde S. Kilby chair professor of English at Wheaton College (Illinois) until 2012 when his hiring to Baylor was widely noted as part of the competition between these two Christian colleges.
- The Year of Our Lord 1943 (Oxford, 2018)
- How to Think: A Survival Guide for a World at Odds (Currency, 2017)
- "The Book of Common Prayer": A Biography (Princeton, 2013)
- The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction (Oxford, 2011)
- A new critical edition of W. H. Auden's The Age of Anxiety: A Baroque Eclogue (Princeton, 2011)
- Wayfaring: Essays Pleasant and Unpleasant (Eerdmans, 2010)
- Original Sin: A Cultural History (HarperOne, 2008)
- Looking Before and After: Testimony and the Christian Life (Eerdmans, 2008)
- The Narnian: The Imagination of C. S. Lewis (Harper, 2005)
- Shaming the Devil: Essays in Truth-Telling (Eerdmans, 2004)
- Must Christianity Be Violent? Reflections on History, Practice, and Theology (Brazos Press, 2003)
- A Theology of Reading: The Hermeneutics of Love (Westview Press, 2001)
- A Visit to Vanity Fair: Moral Essays on the Present Age (Brazos Press, 2001)
- What Become of Wystan? Change and Continuity in Auden's Poetry (University of Arkansas, 1998)
- "Baylor expands with new hire," Nov. 1. 2012, Baylor Lariat
- "Baylor Hires Alan Jacobs Away from Wheaton; He'll start at its Honors College in August 2013", Ted Olsen, Christianity Today, Oct. 25, 2012 
- Alan Jacobs, The Atlantic, retrieved 2014-01-11.
- Alan Jacobs First Things, retrieved 2018-04-07.
- Alan Jacobs, The New Atlantis, retrieved 2014-01-11.
- Alan Jacobs, The American Conservative, retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Review of A Theology of Reading by J. Robert Baker (2002), Christianity and Literature 51 (4).
- Review of A Visit to Vanity Fair by J. C. Schaap (2001), Christian Century 118 (28): 31.
- Review of What Became of Wystan? by W. Todd Martin (2000), South Atlantic Review 65 (4): 225–228, JSTOR 320165.