Alan Simon Crowcroft
|Alan Simon Crowcroft|
2001 – 2015 (present)
|Preceded by||Bob Le Brocq|
|Constituency||Saint Helier, Jersey|
|Constituency||St Helier District No.2|
|Residence||St Helier, Jersey|
Crowcroft is the son of zoologist Dr. Peter Crowcroft. He was educated at Canford School and Emmanuel College, Cambridge University, and received a Diploma in Education from Westminster College, Oxford. After a career in teaching English in Oxford and Jersey, he founded the Jersey School of English in 1991. He is married with five children. He founded the Jersey Pedestrians Association following an accident suffered by his son in St Helier in 1994.
Crowcroft was first elected to the States of Jersey as a Deputy of St Helier in 1996 as a representative of St Helier District No. 2 constituency. In December 2001, he successfully stood for election as Connétable of St Helier, defeating incumbent Bob Le Brocq. He was re-elected unopposed in December 2004. In January 2008, he defeated Jersey Democratic Alliance candidate, Alvin Aaron. He was again re-elected unopposed in 2011.
In 2012 Crowcroft completed the signing of a twinning agreement with the Mayor of Funchal, Dr Miguel Albuquerque. St Helier and Madeira have close ties due to a significant number of Madeirans living in Jersey.
In March 2013, Crowcroft stated that the States of Jersey should pay parish rates on the properties it owns, and that "they would probably be more efficient in their use of property" if they were paying annual rates in the same way as others do. The Treasury Minister, Senator Philip Ozouf, said that the rates payment could be around £1.6m and that there was no provision for it in the budget.
In Jersey, parish rates are normally paid annually by owners or occupiers of land, structures and buildings. These payments are used to pay for each parish's general expenses.
- "Members". Statesassembly.gov.je. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- Anon (2001). "The Peter Crowcroft memorial archive". user.itl.net. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Crowcroft, Simon (2010). "Election Manifesto 2011". sthelier.blogspot.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Crowcroft, Simon (1998). "Jersey Pedestrians Association". user.itl.net. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Anon (2004). "Town Constable is elected for a second term". thisisjersey.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Anon (2008). "Landslide victory for Crowcroft". thisisjersey.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Channel TV (2011). "St Helier Candidates - Jersey Elections 2011". channelonline.tv. Retrieved 20 October 2011.; Channel TV (2011). "Simon Crowcroft outlines manifesto". channelonline.tv. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "Plan for Jersey's Millennium town park work to start". BBC News. 6 April 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- "BBC News - Jersey's Millennium town park opens after 13-year wait". Bbc.co.uk. 29 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- "BBC News - St Helier 'twinned' with Madeiran capital Funchal". Bbc.co.uk. 10 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- "BBC News - The States of Jersey 'should pay parish rates'". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-03-30.
- "Parish and islandwide rates". Gov.je. Retrieved 2013-03-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simon Crowcroft.|