Albany Medical Center
|Albany Medical Center Hospital|
Albany Medical Center main entrance
|Location||43 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY, United States|
|Affiliated university||Albany Medical College|
|Emergency department||Regional Trauma Center|
|Lists||Hospitals in the United States|
Albany Medical Center is the name of the umbrella organization over the Albany Medical Center Hospital and Albany Medical College in Albany, New York. Though the name Albany Medical Center referring to the two institutions on their shared campus has been used for over a century, the two institutions were fiercely independent until the formation of the formal Albany Medical Center in 1982. AMC awards the Albany Medical Center Prize, the second-highest value prize in medicine and biomedical research in the United States, annually.
In 1839 Dr. Alden March founding Albany Medical College in the former Lancaster School at the corner of Lancaster and Eagle Streets in the City of Albany. Albany Hospital was incorporated in 1849 and established two years later on the southwest corner of Dove Street and Lydius Street (now Madison Avenue). Physicians who taught in the medical school saw patients in the hospital, and students transitioned from lecture halls in the medical school to “shadowing” assignments on the floors of the hospital.
New York State Department of Health designations
- David Sweat was treated at Albany Medical Center from June 28 to July 4, 2015, after being shot by law enforcement following his escape from Clinton Correctional Facility.
Albany Medical College
- McGarry, Greg (2007). The History of the Formation of Albany Medical Center. Albany Medical Center.
- McGarry, Greg. "The History of the Formation of Albany Medical Center", Albany Medical Center, 2007
- "NYS Health Profiles", NYS Department of Health
- "William W. Farley, Democratic Leader". New York Times. May 22, 1952. Retrieved 2015-01-20.
- Stanforth, Lauren (5 July 2015). "Sweat to be placed in solitary, on suicide watch". Albany Times Union. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
Media related to Albany Medical Center at Wikimedia Commons