Albert Schinz (1870 – December 19, 1943) was an American French and philosophical scholar, editor, and professor of French literature. Although he was born in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, Schinz died in the United States at an Iowa State University Hospital, in Iowa City, of pneumonia.
Education and career
Albert graduated from the University of Neuchâtel (1888–1892), and studied at Berlin, Tübingen (Ph.D., 1894), Sorbonne and College de France (1894), and in the United States at Clark University. He taught at the University of Minnesota for one year, then became professor of French literature at Clark University (1897–1898), University of Minnesota (1898–1899), Bryn Mawr College (1899- ), and at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts  (1913–1928). He finally retired after teaching French at the University of Pennsylvania in 1941. He spent the rest of his time as a visiting professor at Indiana, Texas, and Iowa University. He was a guest editor for an issue of the Modern Language Journal.
|This section needs expansion with: definition needed, and impact of the editor with citations needed. You can help by adding to it. (May 2011)|
- Anti-Pragmatism: An Examination into the Respective Rights of Intellectual Aristocracy and Social Democracy (1909)
- J. J. Rousseau: A Forerunner of Pragmatism (1909) 
- Les accent dans l'ecriture française (1912) 
- La question du "Contrat Social" (1913) 
- French Literature of the Great War (1920)
- Seventeenth century French readings (1915) 
- Eighteenth century French readings 
- Nineteenth century French readings 
Articles and Journals
- "L'art dans les Contes devots de Gautier de Coinci" 
- (1943, December 20). New York Times (1923-Current file),23. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- Scull, David. Bryn Mawr College Annual Report. Philadelphia: The John C. Winston Co., 1908.
- "Contributors to This Issue." Nation 107.2789 (1918): 729.
- Schinz, Albert (January 1929). "A Reply to Maximilian Rudwin". The Modern Language Journal. Blackwell Publishing: 315–316. JSTOR 315902.
- Schinz, Albert. Anti-Pragmatism: An Examination into the Respective Rights of Intellectual Aristocracy and Social Democracy. Boston: Small, Maynard and Company, 1909.
- Schinz, Albert. J.J. Rousseau: A Forerunner of Pragmatism. Chicago, Open Court Pub. Co.; London, Kegan Paul, Trench, Trübner & Co., 1909.
- Schinz, Albert. Accent dans l'ecriture francaise: étude critique de leurs diverses fonctions dans le passé et dans le présent. Paris : H. Champion, 1912.
- Schinz, Albert. La question de "Contrat Social". Paris: A. Colin, 1913.
- Schinz, Albert. Seventeenth century French readings. New York: H. Holt, 1915.
- Schinz, Albert. Eighteenth century French readings. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1967.
- Schinz, Albert. Nineteenth century French reading. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1967.
- Daniel E. O'Sullivan. The Modern Language Review. 103.4 (Oct. 2008): p1121.
- "Books in Brief." Nation 110.2869 (1920): 860a-861a.
- "Etat Présent des Travaux sur J.-J Rousseau (Book)." Modern Language Quarterly 3.3 (1942): 463.