Marković studied conducting at the Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst (Vienna), in the class of Leopold Hager. He earned a Diploma d'onore at the Accademia Musicale Chigiana in Siena, where he attended master class in conducting. He was a holder of the Herbert von Karajan Foundation's scholarship. In 2003, he won the First Prize at the 7th International Conducting Competition of "Gregorz Fitelberg" in Katowice, Poland.
Marković conductor of Tyrolean Opera House from Innsbruck, Austria (Tiroler Landestheater Innsbruck), from 2005 to 2008. He was Music Director and Principal Conductor of the Brno Philharmonic Orchestra from 2009 to 2015. In October 2015, Marković made his first appearance as a guest conductor with Opera North, in a production of Jenůfa. In February 2016, Opera North announced the appointment of Marković as its next music director, effective with the 2016-2017 season. His first production as music director of the company was in September 2016, with Der Rosenkavalier. On 18 April 2017, Opera North announced that Marković had resigned as the company's music director, with his contract formally to terminate in July 2017, but where he is not to appear with the company for the remainder of the 2016-2017 season.
- "Ludzie: Aleksandar Markovic i Modestas Pitrenas". Gazeta (in Polish). 2003-12-14. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- Martin Dreyer (2015-10-23). "Review: Opera North in Jenůfa; Grand Theatre, Leeds". The Yorkshire Press. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "Opera North's new Music Director: Aleksandar Marković" (Press release). Opera North. 2016-02-24. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- Alfred Hickling (2016-09-18). "Der Rosenkavalier – eloquently staged revival belies its age". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "Statement regarding Opera North's Music Director" (Press release). Opera North. 2017-04-18. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aleksandar Marković.|
- Aleksandar Markovic Official Website
- Maestro Arts agency biography of Aleksandar Markovic
- Larry L. Lash, 6/23/06, / Der Fliegende Holländer-Tiroler Landestheater, Opera News.
- Martin Wilkening, 03.09.2011, / Wie beim Schaulaufen, Berliner Zeitung.
- Larry L. Lash, 2/7/08, / Cavalleria Rusticana & Pagliacci, Opera News.
- 'Facing the music: Aleksandar Marković'. The Guardian, 22 August 2016
- Berliner Morgenpost, 28. April 2009, Joseph Haydn gefällt auch den jungen Leuten
|Chief Conductor, Brno Philharmonic
|Music Director, Opera North
(post de facto vacant)