Alexander Francis Lydon
|Alexander Francis Lydon|
Alexander Francis Lydon (//; 1836–1917) was an English watercolour artist, illustrator and engraver of natural history and landscapes. He worked for Benjamin Fawcett the printer, to whom he had been apprenticed from an early age. He collaborated on a large number of works with the Rev. Francis Orpen Morris who wrote the text.
A census on 30 March 1851 found the Lydon family living at Bridge Street, Great Driffield and the following details were recorded:
- Head of household Patrick Lydon, born in Ireland, married, aged 42, Chelsea Pensioner and Relieving Officer of Driffield Union.
- Elizabeth Lydon, wife, aged 38, birthplace Portugal.
- Francis Lydon, son, aged 14, printer's assistant, birthplace Dublin.
- Frederic Lydon, son, aged 12, scholar, birthplace Bermuda, West Indies.
- Hannah Lydon, daughter, aged 10, scholar, birthplace Bermuda, West Indies.
- James Lydon, son, aged 7, scholar, birthplace New Brunswick, Canada.
- Margaret Lydon, daughter, aged 2, birthplace Newcastle, Northumberland.
- John Lydon, son, aged 8 months, birthplace Great Driffield.
- Catherine Lydon, sister, unmarried, aged 18, birthplace Ireland.
- Illustrated and/or engraved by Lydon
- Couch, Jonathan. A history of the fishes of the British Islands: Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Vol. 4 (London, Groombridge and Sons, 1862).
- Lowe, E. J. Our native ferns, or, A history of the British species and their varieties: Vol. 1, Vol. 2 (London: Groombridge, 1865).
- Bunyan, John. The pilgrim's progress: from this world to that which is to come (London: Groombridge and Sons, 1871).
- Houghton, W. British fresh water fishes: Vol. 1, Vol 2 (London: W. Mackenzie, 1879).
- Croal, Thomas Allan. Scottish loch scenery (London: J. Walker, 1882).
- Morris, F. O. A series of picturesque views of seats of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland: Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Vol. 4, Vol. 5, Vol. 6 (London: William Mackenzie).
- Greene, W T. Parrots in captivity (George Bell & Sons, 1884).
- Kearton, Richard. Birds' nests, eggs and egg-collecting (Cassell & Co., 1896).
- Lydon Family Genealogy Forum
- The Illustrator and the Book in England from 1790 to 1914. Gordon Norton Ray, Courier Dover Publications, 1992, p. 65, ISBN 0-486-26955-8
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexander Francis Lydon.|