Alexandra Day (born 1941) is an American children’s book author. Alexandra Day is a pseudonym; her real name is Sandra Louise Woodward Darling. She is the author of Good Dog, Carl, which tells the story of a Rottweiler named Carl who looks after a baby named Madeleine. The book was first published in 1985 by Day’s own publishing company, Green Tiger Press. Good Dog, Carl has been followed by a whole series of popular Carl books, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
Day was born in 1941 in Cincinnati, Ohio. She and her husband, Harold Darling, founded a publishing company, Green Tiger Press, in 1970. Meanwhile, Day began a career in illustration, and illustrated her first book in 1983: The Teddy Bears' Picnic, based on a popular children's song by Jimmy Kennedy.
Day and her husband live in Seattle, Washington.
According to Day, the inspiration for Good Dog, Carl came from a trip to Zurich, Switzerland. Day was looking through antique picture sheets for her postcards when she found an image of a dog left to guard a baby. Day’s own dog, a Rottweiler named Toby, was the model for the book's main character, and since then other family Rottweiler’s have been models for the books.
The Carl Series
- Good Dog, Carl, Green Tiger Press, 1985
- Carl Goes Shopping, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1989
- Carl’s Christmas, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1990
- Carl's Afternoon in the Park, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1991
- Carl’s Masquerade, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1992
- Carl Goes to Daycare, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1993
- Carl Pops Up, Simon & Schuster, 1994
- Carl Makes a Scrapbook, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1994
- My Puppy’s Record Book, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1994; Laughing Elephant, 2005
- Carl’s Birthday, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1995
- Carl’s Baby Journal, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1996
- Follow Carl!, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1998
- Carl’s Sleepy Afternoon, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2005
- You’re a Good Dog, Carl!, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2007
- Carl’s Summer Vacation, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2008
- Carl’s Snowy Afternoon, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2009
- Carl and the Puppies, Square Fish, 2011
- Carl and the Baby Duck, Square Fish, 2011
- Carl and the Kitten, Square Fish, 2011
- Carl and the Sick Puppy, Square Fish, 2012
- Carl at the Dog Show, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2012
- Carl's Halloween, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2015
- The Teddy Bears’ Picnic, Green Tiger Press, 1983 (by Jimmy Kennedy)
- The Blue Faience Hippopotamus, Green Tiger Press, 1984 (by Joan Grant)
- When You Wish upon a Star, Green Tiger Press, 1994
- Frank and Ernest, Scholastic, 1988
- Paddy’s Payday, Puffin Books, 1989
- Frank and Ernest Play Ball, Scholastic, 1990
- River Parade, Puffin, 1990
- Frank and Ernest on the Road, Scholastic, 1994
- A Bouquet, Laughing Elephant, 1996
- The Christmas We Moved to the Barn, HarperCollins, 1997 (by Cooper Edens)
- Mirror, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1997 (by Christina Darling)
- Boswell Wide Awake, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1999
- Darby, The Special Order Pup, Dial, 2000 (with Cooper Edens)
- Special Deliveries, HarperCollins, 2001 (by Cooper Edens)
- Puppy Trouble, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2002
- The Flight of a Dove, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2004
- Not Forgotten, Laughing Elephant, 2004
- Hooray for Dogs, Laughing Elephant, 2008
- The Fairy Dogfather, Laughing Elephant, 2012
- Pryor, Kelli (27 September 1991). ""Day's Dog", Entertainment Weekly,09/27/1991".
- ""Good Dog, Carl", Publishers Weekly,07/31/1997".
- ""Children's Books", The New York Times,01/08/1984". 8 January 1984.
- Pellegrini, Neena (12 February 2012). ""Heart dogs: Alexandra Day and Zubi", Seattle Times,02/12/2012". The Seattle Times.
- ""Meet Alexandra Day and Carl", Good Dog Carl".
- ""Bestsellers", The New York Times,12/30/1990". 30 December 1990.