This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alexei Vranich (born July 15, 1968) is an American archaeologist specializing in the pre-Columbian South America. His previous positions include Research Associate and Visiting Assistant Professor (2012-2015) at UCLA's Cotsen Institute of Archaeology. He was previously an Anthropology Research Associate at UCLA from 2009 to 2011, and a Lecturer and Research Associate at the University of Pennsylvania from 1999 to 2004. He received his B.A. from the University of California, Berkeley in 1990, and his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1999. He is a Fulbright Scholar and Dumbartion Oaks Harvard Fellow.
Vranich has conducted archaeology research in Spain, Italy, India, Bulgaria, and Costa Rica, with notable contributions in Peru and Bolivia – Cusco, Machu Picchu, and Tiwanaku respectively. He has unique expertise and experience developing advanced techniques for computer modeling and geomatics of historical sites, expertise which has been supported by two National Science Foundation Research Grants for $1,000,200 and $111,00 for work at Tiwanaku.
- Fusion of Three-Dimensional Data at Tiwanaku: An Approach to Spatial Data Integration. Christopher Goodmaster and Alexei Vranich.
- Prehistoric Urban Archaeology in the Americas: A View from Cusco, Peru. Alexei Vranich, Thomas Hardy, and Stephen Berquist. Backdirt Magazine, Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, Los Angeles, December 2014.
- Seeing What is Not There: Reconstructing the Monumental Experience. Alexei Vranich, edited by James R. Matheiu. Experimental Archaeology: replicating past objects, behaviors, and processes. Barr International Series 1035, 2002.
- Visions of Tiwanaku. Alexei Vranich. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, Los Angeles 2013. ISBN 978-0-917956-09-6.
- Blackwell Studies in Global Archaeology: Experiencing the Cities of Wari and Tiwanaku. Alexei Vranich and William H. Isbell, edited by Helaine Silverman. Blackwell Publishing Limited, 2004.
- Senoras de los Imperios del Sol, Coleccion Arte y Tesoros del Peru: Plataformas, plazas y palacios en Tiwanaku, Bolivia (500-1000 a.d.). Alexei Vranich.
- Max Uhle, Evaluaciones de sus Investigaciones y Obras: Revalorizando a Max Uhle en Tiwanaku. Alexei Vranich. Fondo Editorial, Universidad Catolica del Peru.
- The Development of the Ritual Core of Tiwanakuh. Alexei Vranich. Tiwanakuh: Papers from the 2005 Mayer Symposium at the Denver Art Museum. Dener Art Museum, 2005.
- Coping with Chaos. By Alexei Vranich. Archeology magazine, May/June 2003.
- Revolorizando a Max Uhle en Tiwanaku, in Max Uhle (1856-1944). Evaluaciones de sus Investigaciones y Obras. Alexei Vranich. Edited by Peter Kaulicke, Fondo Editorial PUCP, Lima, Perú.
- Fusion of Three-Dimensional Data at Tiwanaku: An approach to Spatial Data Integration. Jackson Cothren, Christopher Goodmaster, Adam Barnes, Eileen Ernenein, Alexei Vranich, W. Fredrick Limp, Angelia Payne.
- La pirámide de Akapana: Reconsiderando el centro monumental de Tiwanaku. Alexei Vranich. Boletin de Arqueologia Pucp, No. 5, 2001.
- The Construction and Reconstruction of Ritual Space at Tiwanaku, Bolivia
- Recreating Cusco in Three Dimensions. J. Cothren, A. Barnes, A. Vranich. CAA 2010: Fusion of Cultures.
- Reed Boats and Experimental Archaeology on Lake Titicaca. Alexei Vranich, Paul Harmon, Chris Knutson. University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology Press, Expedition magazine, Vol 47, No. 2, 2005.
- Visions of Tiwanaku. Alexei Vranich and Charles Stanish. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, Los Angeles 2013. ISBN 9780917956096.
- Advances in Titicaca Basin Archaeology-2. Alexei Vranich and Abigail Levine. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, Los Angeles, 2013. ISBN 9781931745727.
- Advances in Titicaca Basin Archaeology-3. Alexei Vranich, Elizabeth Klarich and Charles Stanish. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, Los Angeles, 2013.
- Lost Kingdoms of South America, 2013. On Screen Expert and Primary Consultant.
- The Ancient Life, 2011. On Screen Expert.
- BrewMasters, 2010. On Screen Expert and Consultant.
- Voyage to the American Stonehenge, 2007. Host and Primary Consultant.
- Debunked!, 2004. Host and Primary Consultant.