|Alma mater||Iowa Writers' Workshop|
|Known for||How to Love a Jamaican: Stories (2018)|
|Awards||Plimpton Prize |
O. Henry Prize
Alexia Arthurs is a writer who grew up in both Jamaica and the United States of America. She writes about the variability of experiences of black identity of immigrants from African countries, Jamaica, and other countries of the West Indies from recent immigrants to those brought over during slavery. Her writings include short stories about community, generations, mermaids, sexuality and more. She is a recipient of the Plimpton Prize and an O. Henry Prize.
Arthurs graduated from the Iowa Writers' Workshop. was awarded the 2017 Paris Review Plimpton Prize. Her first book, How To Love A Jamaican: Stories, was published in 2018 and was identified by Entertainment Weekly, Buzzfeed News, and Bitch Media as one of the best Summer reads of 2018. Arthurs teaches at the Iowa Writers' Workshop.
- Arthurs, A. (2018). How to Love a Jamaican: Stories. Random House Publishing Group. ISBN 978-1-5247-9921-2.
- Bereola, Abigail (2018-08-07). "Mermaids and Transgressive Sex: An Interview with Alexia Arthurs". The Paris Review. Retrieved 2018-10-24.
- "Alexia Arthurs Wins the Plimpton Prize". Iowa Writers' Workshop. 2017-03-06. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Love, Caitlin (2016-07-06). ""Bad Behavior": An Interview with Alexia Arthurs". The Paris Review. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Arthurs, Alexia (2017-12-21). "A Short Story from Alexia Arthurs's Upcoming Collection, 'How to Love a Jamaican'". Vice. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "The Millions: How to Love a Jamaican: Stories by Alexia Arthurs". themillions.com. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Canfield, David; Seija Rankin (2018-07-02). "20 new books to read in July". EW.com. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Arthurs, Alexia (2018-07-16). "Fiction: Being The Only Queer Woman At A Very Straight Wedding". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Dionne, Evette (2018-07-02). "BitchReads: 11 Books Feminists Should Read In July". Bitch Media. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Taylor, Sharine (2018-06-19). "8 Books by Jamaican Authors Every Person Should Read". Shondaland. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Taylor, Sharine (2018-07-24). "'It's More Complicated Than the Grass Being Greener': An Interview with Alexia Arthurs". Hazlitt. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Alexia Arthurs". Granta Magazine. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "HOW TO LOVE A JAMAICAN by Alexia Arthurs". Kirkus Reviews. 2018-05-15.
- Fadulu, Hannah Giorgis, Lolade (2018-07-26). "'How to Love a Jamaican' Complicates the Idea of Home". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- Kay, Jennifer (2018-08-09). "Relationships are tested in Alexia Arthurs' story collection 'How to Love a Jamaican'". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- The Jamaican-American Immigrant Experience, WNYC, August 14, 2018