|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California|
|Key people||Ron Manus, Morton Manus, Iris Manus, Gear Fisher|
Alfred Music is a music publishing company. Founded in New York in 1922, it is headquartered in Van Nuys, (Los Angeles), California, with additional branches in Miami, New York, Germany, Singapore, and the United Kingdom.
Alfred Music’s history began in New York City’s Tin Pan Alley in 1922, when Sam Manus, a violinist and importer of mood music for silent films, started a music publishing company and named it Manus Music. The company published primarily popular sheet music. In 1930, Sam acquired the music publisher, Alfred & Company, founded by Alfred Haase. Sam decided to combine the names and shortened it to Alfred Music, which the company is still known as today. Sam’s son, Morty (né Morton Manus; 1926–2016), clarinetist and pianist, began working for Alfred Music in the late 1940s and met his wife Iris at the company when the bookkeeper, Rose Kopelman, brought her daughter to work one day. Inspired by the need for quality music educational products. Morty, a clarinetist and pianist, oversaw the development of an instructional series for accordion, followed by books for guitar, piano, and recorder. Alfred Music was now more than just a sheet music publisher; the company was taking its first steps to becoming the leader in music education. In 1975, the firm moved to larger offices in Los Angeles. In 1980, with growing sales, the company went international.
As of 2016, Alfred Music is also paired with MakeMusic, which is part of Peaksware Holdings, LLC portfolio of companies, to transform how music is composed, published, taught, learned, and performed by bringing together the leaders in educational music publishing and music technology.
Behind the Player
- Ferrisi, Dan (29 May 2012). "Ron Manus • CEO, Alfred Music Publishing". The Music & Sound Retailer. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Alfred to purchase Warner Bros. Publications," American Music Teacher, April–May 2005
- "Our History". Alfred Music. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "George Lynch: 'Behind The Player' Dvd Available". Blabbermouth.net. 2010-07-14. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Alfred Publishing
- Morton and Iris Manus NAMM Oral History Program (2003)
- Ron Manus Interview NAMM Oral History Program (2014)
- Steven Raft Interview NAMM Oral History Program (2014)
|This article about a music industry company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|