Alfred Thomas Elwes
- Not to be confused with British author, Alfred Elwes.
|Alfred Thomas Elwes|
Huia by Alfred Thomas Elwes
|Known for||Natural history illustration|
Alfred Thomas Elwes (A. T. Elwes) (c. 1841– c.1917) was a British Natural History illustrator of mammals and birds. For most of his life he lived and worked in England, illustrating various natural history books of the nineteenth century as well as for Illustrated London News.
Life and work
Elwes was born in Leghorn, Italy around 1841. From 1872 to 1877 he was employed by the Illustrated London News as the chief draftsman of natural history subjects. In 1882 Elwes wrote How to draw animals, birds and dogs. He died sometime after 1911 probably around 1917 in Willesden, Middlesex.
Elwes was married in Gravesend, Kent on 15 October 1873 to Kate Barnard.
Books illustrated by Elwes
- Neptune: Or The Autobiography Of A Newfoundland Dog (1869) by E. Burrows
- The Pleasant History of Reynard the Fox (1873) Translated by Thomas Roscoe
- A Ride Through Hostile Africa: With Adventures Among The Boers (1881) by Parker Gillmore
- Encounters With Wild Beasts (1881) by Parker Gillmore
- How to draw animals, birds and dogs (1882) by A. T. Elwes
- The Amphibion's voyage (1885) by Parker Gillmore
- Uncle Remus (1888) by Joel Chandler Harris
- The birds of our rambles : A companion for the country (1891) by Charles Dixon.
- A Book of Drawings (1891) by A. Bryan, L. Davis, A. T. Elwes et al.
- The Game Birds And Wild Fowl Of The British Islands: Being A Handbook For The Naturalist And Sportsman (1893) by Charles Dixon.
- Birds' nests; an introduction to the science of caliology (1902) by Charles Dixon.
- Chatterbox (1904) by et al. W. P. Pycraft
- Wonders of the bird world (1921) by Richard Bowdler Sharpe.
- Bird Wonders Of The Zoo (Gardner, 1911). Illustrated by A. T. Elwes.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alfred Thomas Elwes.|
- Jackson, Christine E. (1999). Dictionary of bird artists of the world. Woodbridge: Antique Collectors' Club. p. 235. ISBN 1851492038.
- Houfe, Simon (1996). The dictionary of 19th century British book illustrators and caricaturists (Rev. ed.). Woodbridge: Antique Collector's Club. p. 295. ISBN 1851491937.
- "Reynard the Fox". The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- Terry, John. "Elwes Chart 0500". Terrys. John Terry. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Drawing". Victoria and Albert Museum. Victoria and Albert Museum. Retrieved 9 December 2015.