Alfredo López Austin
Alfredo Federico López Austin (born in Ciudad Juárez, México, March 12, 1936) is a Mexican historian of uncommon originality who has written extensively on the Aztec worldview and on Mesoamerican religion. As an academic teacher, he has inspired generations of students, but his influence extends beyond the boundaries of academic life. His son is the renowned archaeologist, Leonardo López Luján.
López Austin first attended law school and worked as a lawyer in his hometown. His academic association with the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM, Mexico's autonomous national university), where he was a student, spans some fifty years, and as of 2007[update] he still holds a position as a researcher (emeritus) at UNAM's Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas (IIA, or Institute of Anthropological Research). López Austin lectures in the History department of UNAM's Faculty of Philosophy and Literature, the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras (FFyL).
- Breve historia de la tradición religiosa mesoamericana [Brief history of Mesoamerican religious tradition] (1999)
- With Leonardo López Luján: El Pasado Indígena [The Indigenous Past] (1996)
- El conejo en la cara de la Luna [The rabbit in the face of the moon] (1995)
- Tamoanchan y Tlalocan (1994)
- Los mitos del tlacuache [The tlacuache miths] (1990)
- Una vieja historia de la mierda [An old story of excrement] (1988)
- Cuerpo humano e ideología [Human Body and Ideology in Ancient Mexicans] (1980)
- Hombre-Dios [Man - God] (1973)
- La Constitución Real de México-Tenochtitlán [The Royal constitution of Mexico Tenochtitlan] (1961)
- Carrasco, David (1982). Quetzalcoatl and the Irony of Empire: Myths and Prophecies in the Aztec Tradition. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-09487-1. OCLC 0226094871.
- Sánchez, Verenise (May 25, 2006). "Feliz en el agua que nado". AUNAM Digital (in Spanish). Agencia Universitaria de Noticias, UNAM. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- Servín, Mirna (August 24, 1998). "El mito, una de las mejores formas de expresión de la realidad" (online edition). La Jornada (in Spanish). Mexico City: Desarrollo de Medios. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- Alfredo López Austin, On-line publications
- Alfredo López Austin, Webpage.
- Works by or about Alfredo López Austin in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
|This article related to indigenous Mesoamerican culture is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a Mexican historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|