Alliance for Lobbying Transparency
The Alliance for Lobbying Transparency is a UK-based organisation formed in September 2007 and formally launched in January 2008 and concerned with the influence of lobbying on government decision-making.
The Alliance is also campaigning for a mandatory lobbyists register, while the UK Public Affairs Council is a lobby industry body supporting self-regulation. The UKPAC published its first register in March 2011 and the Alliance was immediately critical, saying an estimated 85-90% of lobbyists were shunning it, and highlighting condemnation by Austin Mitchell MP and others.
Alliance members include charities, campaign groups and a trade union.
- Action Aid
- Campaign Against Arms Trade
- Campaign for Press and Broadcasting Freedom
- Corporate Watch
- Friends of the Earth
- National Union of Journalists
- Pesticide Action Network
- SPEAK network
- SpinWatch (SpinWatch's director Tamasin Cave is sometimes quoted as head of the Alliance for Lobbying Transparency)
- Unlock Democracy
- War on Want
- World Development Movement
Some Alliance members are also supporters of a related European initiative, the Alliance for Lobbying Transparency and Ethics Regulation (ALTER-EU), a coalition concerned with corporate lobbyists' influence on the political agenda in Europe.
The Alliance has received funding via a grant from the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust's Power and Responsibility programme, and gets support from coalition members.
- "Written evidence submitted by Tamasin Cave, SpinWatch". Political and Constitutional Reform Committee. www.parliament.uk. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Unlock Democracy: Launch of Alliance for Lobbying Transparency". Politics.co.uk. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- Wheeler, Brian (21 March 2010). "Lobbying and British politicians". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "About ALT". ALT. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Up to 90% of lobbyists shun new transparency register". Lobbying Transparency. ALT. Archived from the original on 2013-12-10. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Lobbyists' voluntary register is 'riddled with errors'". Lobbying Transparency. ALT. Archived from the original on 2013-04-15. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- Mathiason, Nick (9 July 2012). "Finance industry's multimillion-pound lobbying budget revealed". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Sign Up: Open Up Lobbying. Open Up Politics". Unlock Democracy. Archived from the original on 2012-05-15. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
|This article about an organisation in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|