Alto Independent School District
|Alto Independent School District|
|244 County Rd 2429|
|Type||Independent school district|
|Grades||Pre-K through 12|
|NCES District ID||4807980|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||65.94 (2009-10) (on full-time equivalent (FTE) basis)|
|Student-teacher ratio||10.6 (2009-10)|
|Athletic conference||UIL Class 1A Football Division I|
|TEA District Accountability Rating for 2011-12||Academically Acceptable|
The Alto Independent School District is a school district based in Alto, Texas, USA. It is managed by a six-person Board of Trustees. The superintendent is Kelly West. The district is also served by Angelina College, a community college located in Lufkin, Texas.
As of the 2010-2011 school year, the appraised valuation of property in the district was $145,267,000. The maintenance tax rate was $0.104 and the bond tax rate was $0.027 per $100 of appraised valuation.
In 2011, the school district was rated "academically acceptable" by the Texas Education Agency. Forty-nine percent of districts in Texas in 2011 received the same rating. No state accountability ratings will be given to districts in 2012. A school district in Texas can receive one of four possible rankings from the Texas Education Agency: Exemplary (the highest possible ranking), Recognized, Academically Acceptable, and Academically Unacceptable (the lowest possible ranking).
Historical district TEA accountability ratings
- 2011: Academically Acceptable
- 2010: Academically Acceptable
- 2009: Academically Acceptable
- 2008: Academically Acceptable
- 2007: Academically Acceptable
- 2006: Academically Acceptable
- 2005: Academically Acceptable
- 2004: Academically Acceptable
In the 2011-2012 school year, the district operated three schools.
- Alto High School, Grades 9-12, principal Shanequa Redd-Dorsey
- Alto Middle School, Grades 5-8, principal Brandi Tiner 
- In the 2011-2012 school year the principal was Kelly West and the enrollment was 216 students. The school colors are black and gold and the school mascot is the yellowjacket. In 2011, the school was rated "academically acceptable" by the Texas Education Agency. Since West took over they have been listed as one of the best 150 Middle schools in Texas by Texas Monthly Magazine.
- Alto Elementary School, Grades PK-4, principal Candis Mabry
Alto High School participates in the boys sports of baseball, basketball, football, and wrestling. The school participates in the girls sports of basketball and softball. For the 2012 through 2014 school years, Alto High School will play football in UIL Class 1A Division I.
- "Texas School Directory 2012" (PDF). Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Alto ISD". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Alto ISD Administration". Alto Independent School District. Archived from the original on 3 December 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "UIL Alignments". University Interscholastic League. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Alto High School". CBS Interactive. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System District Ratings for 2004 through 2011". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2 July 2012. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "AISD Board of Trustees" Archived 2008-05-28 at the Wayback Machine, Alto Independent School District
- "Alto ISD Administration" Archived 2008-12-12 at the Wayback Machine, Alto Independent School District
- "Texas Accountability System Summary of Ratings for 2004 through 2011(as of November 2, 2011) District Ratings by Rating Category (including Charter Operators)". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 7 August 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- "Accountability Rating System for Texas Public Schools and Districts". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 24 August 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012.