|Notable works||The Greater Freedom: Life as a Middle Eastern Woman Outside the Stereotypes|
Early life and education
Mooro began her career as a journalist by covering the music industry, particularly the underground hip-hop scene. She dabbled in fashion and eventually began making commentaries on cultural and social issues. Mooro also writes about lifestyle and pop culture. She has guested on radio stations like BBC to discuss the need for increased diversity in media representation.
Mooro authored bestselling memoir and commentary The Greater Freedom: Life as a Middle Eastern Woman Outside the Stereotypes (2019). In the book, Mooro discussed her dual cultural background, to which she was torn to identify herself which. The book also contains accounts of middle eastern women. It explored the stereotypes and social and cultural norms middle eastern women are subjected to — both in the western and middle eastern world — in an attempt to address and destigmatize them. Various forms of gender discrimination are scrutinized, whether through beauty standards or through taboo topics such as relationships, sexuality, religion etc.
- Chappet, Marie-Claire. "20 Nu-Gen feminists you need to know about if you want to feel f****** empowered this year". Glamour UK. Condé Nast. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- Anderson, Alana (19 August 2020). "Stars have joined forces to celebrate Gynaecological positivity and self-love". OK! Magazine. Reach Magazines Worldwide. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- Begum, Tahmina. "The Greater Freedom: Exploring 'The Invisible Jury' with Alya Mooro". The New Arab. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "40+ Artists to Feature in 24-Hour Livestream to Raise Funds for Beirut Relief Aid". Egyptian Streets. 12 August 2020. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- Newnham, Danielle (19 November 2019). "Life as a Middle Eastern Woman Outside the Stereotypes: Alya Mooro". Medium. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- Arshad, Sunayah. ""If you don't like the story, you should write your own" - The Greater Freedom". AZEEMA. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "Alya Mooro". Marjacq. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "Programmes". BBC. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "Articles by Alya Mooro | Freelance Journalist | Muck Rack". Muck Rack. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "Alya Mooro, Author at Restless Network". Restless Network. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "Alya Mooro". New York Post. NYP Holdings, Inc. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "Alya Mooro's Recent Articles - Refinery29". www.refinery29.com. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- Cumberbatch, Aimée Grant. "7 New Feminist Nonfiction Books For 2019, Because Knowledge Is Power". Bustle. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- Khan, Shaistha (6 December 2019). "Egyptian-British journalist Alya Mooro's search for 'The Greater Freedom'". Arab News. Retrieved 4 January 2021.