Amanda Kyle Williams
Amanda Kyle Williams
|Born||August 17, 1957|
Norfolk, Virginia, U.S.
|Died||August 31, 2018 (aged 61)|
Decatur, Georgia, U.S.
Williiams was born in Norfolk, Virginia and spent her childhood between Colorado and Georgia. She grew up with a learning disability and dropped out of South Gwinnett High School when she was 16 years old; she read her first book at the age of 23.
She began her writing career as a freelance writer for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and also worked as a house painter, property manager, sales representative, commercial embroiderer, courier and dog walker. When she decided to experiment with writing crime fiction, she studied criminology to establish background knowledge, and worked with a private investigator firm in Atlanta on surveillance operations. She also worked as a process server to deliver subpoenas to people that the local sheriff’s department couldn't locate.
Williams' Madison McGuire series of novels was published in the early 1990s; the lead character was modelled after Emma Peel in the television show The Avengers. The character of Keye Street, who appears in Williams' three novels published between 2011 and 2014, was inspired by Williams' Chinese niece, who, like Street, has white southern parents.
Both The Stranger You Seek and The Stranger in the Room have appeared on annual best-of lists. Publishers Weekly called The Stranger You Seek "an explosive, unpredictable, and psychologically complex thriller that turns crime fiction clichés inside out." Her novels have been translated into nine languages.
- The Stranger You Seek (2011)
- Stranger in the Room (2012)
- Don't Talk to Strangers (2014)
- Club Twelve (1990)
- The Providence File (1991)
- A Singular Spy (1992)
- The Spy in Question (1993)
- "Amanda Kyle Williams, best-selling crime writer, dies at 61". ajc. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- Kelley, Collin (2012-10-14). "Amanda Kyle Williams: Creating Kick-Ass Women". Lambda Literary. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "True confessions of a crime writer". ajc. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "News: Decatur best-selling crime author Amanda Kyle Williams dies at 61 from cancer - ArtsATL". ArtsATL. 2018-08-31. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Kirkus Reviews: Best Mysteries of 2011". Archived from the original on 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- Publishers Weekly Review of The Stranger You Seek
- Team, Edit (1992-07-14). "4th Annual Lambda Literary Awards". Lambda Literary. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- Townsend Prize for Fiction
- 2012 Shamus Awards
- "Amanda Kyle Williams | Penguin Random House". www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Retrieved 2018-09-03.