Case was born in about 1986. She graduated with a sociology major from Lewis & Clark College in 2008, having written a thesis about cell phones. In 2008, she co-founded CyborgCamp, an unconference on the future of humans and computers.
In 2010, Case and Aaron Parecki founded Geoloqi, a location-based software company. The company was acquired by Esri in 2012. In 2015, Case left Esri to work for a new company called Healthways where she became the managing director.
In her work, Case often declares that we are all cyborgs already, as a cyborg is simply a human who interacts with technology. According to Case the technology doesn't necessarily need to be implanted: it can be a physical or mental extension. She argues that these days we now have two selves: one digital, one physical. Her main focus in recent years is Calm technology, a type of information technology where the interaction between the technology and its user is designed to occur in the user's periphery rather than constantly at the center of attention. Case describes it as a technology that "gets out of your way and lets you live your life." In 2015 she published the book 'Calm Technology' on the subject.
- An Illustrated Dictionary of Cyborg Anthropology (CreateSpace, January 2014)
- Designing Calm Technology (O'Reilly Books, October 2015)
- Designing with Sound: Fundamentals for Products and Services (co-author Aaron Day) (O'Reilly Media, Inc., December 2018)
Awards and honours
In 2010 Fastcompany magazine named Case as one of the most influential women in technology.
- Memo to Future Self, Wired Magazine, Retrieved 12 June 2016
- Most Influential Women 2010, FaastCompany.com, Retrieved 12 June 2016
- "Amber Case on Calm Technology". Future Thinkers. September 1, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-06-08. Retrieved 2016-06-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Amber Case (18 December 2015). Calm Technology: Principles and Patterns for Non-Intrusive Design. "O'Reilly Media, Inc.". ISBN 978-1-4919-2585-0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amber Case.|