|Type||Subsidiary of Frontdoor Inc.|
Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.
|Headquarters||Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.|
|Bill Cobb, CEO|
Number of employees
American Home Shield Corporation is an American home warranty company based in Memphis, Tennessee. It administers home warranty contracts on major home systems and appliances.
American Home Shield was founded in 1971 and operated independently until it was acquired by ServiceMaster in 1989. In 2018, the American Home Shield business was spun off under Frontdoor, Inc., a new, publicly traded company on the NASDAQ (ticker symbol FTDR). American Home Shield serves over 2 million customers across 49 states and the District of Columbia. It is one of the largest home warranty providers in the United States. The company works with over 16,000 independent contractor firms and 60,000 technicians in the U.S. The headquarters are in Memphis, Tennessee.
In 2019, Frontdoor, Inc. acquired Streem, Inc., which uses enhanced augmented reality, computer vision, and machine learning to help home services professionals diagnose home breakdowns virtually and assess if any parts are needed prior to the initial in-home visit. American Home Shield now uses Streem technology as part of their service process in available markets. Frontdoor launched American Home Shield ProConnect in 2020  to offer on-demand home maintenance services. American Home Shield ProConnect is available in 37 markets.
The company’s corporate headquarters is located in the heart of downtown Memphis, Tennessee. In March 2020, American Home Shield transitioned all employees to a virtual work environment due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In mid-2021, the company announced that it would be virtual-first company. They outsource all of their customer service to other countries.
In 2021, American Home Shield launched three new home warranty plan products.
Product names include (ranging from least to most expensive):
- ShieldSilver - covers the major parts of 14 home systems.
- ShieldGold - covers the major parts of 14 home systems plus 9 kitchen and laundry appliances.
- ShieldPlatinum - covers the major parts of 14 home systems, 9 kitchen and laundry appliances, and premium features such as roof leak repair coverage, unlimited HVAC refrigerant, one pre-season HVAC tune-up per year, and coverage for Modifications, Code Requirements, and Permits.
In 2022, American Home Shield launched three new home warranty plan products for people either buying or selling a home as part of the real estate transaction.
- Gwin, Carl R.; Ong, Seow‐Eng (2001). "Overcoming adverse selection in buying an existing home". Journal of Property Investment & Finance. 19 (3): 283–295. doi:10.1108/14635780110387628. ISSN 1463-578X.
- Fitzsimmons, James A. (1993). "Strategic Role of Information in Services". Perspectives in Operations Management. Boston, MA: Springer US. pp. 101–113. doi:10.1007/978-1-4615-3166-1_6. ISBN 978-1-4613-6387-3.
- Ringing in Sales. CXO Media, Inc. January 1991. p. 65. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Giorgianni, Anthony (August 16, 2017). "What to Know About Buying a Home Warranty". Consumer Reports. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Pollard, C.W.; Graham, B. (2014). The Tides of Life: Learning to Lead and Serve as You Navigate the Currents of Life. Crossway. p. 188. ISBN 978-1-4335-4175-9. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine. National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. 1977. p. 396. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- A Study of Home Inspection and Warranty Programs. A Study of Home Inspection and Warranty Programs. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Policy Development and Research. 1977. pp. 3–4. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Company Overview of American Home Shield Corporation". Bloomberg. March 5, 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Extended Warranty Market, Part Three, 13 October 2004". Warranty Week. October 13, 2004. Archived from the original on October 29, 2004. Retrieved September 7, 2022.
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance. Kiplinger Washington Editors, Inc. January 1994. p. 111. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Our Brands | ServiceMaster". Archived from the original on 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- "Home Warranties Insurance - About Us - American Home Shield". www.AHS.com. Archived from the original on August 1, 2017. Retrieved May 21, 2017.
- Raines, S.S. (2012). Conflict Management for Managers: Resolving Workplace, Client, and Policy Disputes. The Jossey-Bass business & management series. Wiley. p. 30. ISBN 978-1-118-41548-1. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Mehl, Annie (June 29, 2017). "Summer associates for American Home Shield gain more than experience". Daily Times Herald. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Frontdoor Acquires Streem, a Leader in Advanced Technology to Transform the Service Experience". Bloomberg.com. 2019-12-05. Retrieved 2022-06-16.
- "Frontdoor Expands On-Demand Home Services to 35 Markets with American Home Shield ProConnect™". www.businesswire.com. 2020-11-12. Retrieved 2022-06-16.
- "Home Repair Service Providers On Demand". American Home Shield ProConnect™. Retrieved 2022-06-16.