The American Ireland Fund
The American Ireland Fund (AIF) is an organization that raises funds for the support of peace and reconciliation, community development, education, and arts and culture in Ireland. Since its founding, it has raised more than $450 million (US), benefitting more than 3,000 Irish charities.
Founded by Tony O'Reilly and Dan Rooney, The American Ireland Fund is part of The Ireland Funds. The Worldwide Ireland Funds were founded in 1976. On St. Patrick's Day of 1987, The Ireland Fund merged with the American Irish Foundation. The American Irish Foundation had been founded by US President John F. Kennedy and Irish President Éamon de Valera. After the merger, the new organization took the name The American Ireland Fund. The merger was made official at a White House function.
Operating in 12 countries with worldwide membership chapters, The Worldwide Ireland Funds have raised more than $500 million (US) for over 3,000 organizations. The Irish Times reported that the organization gave $15.7 million to such Irish organizations in 2012. The organization's net revenue amounted to more than $20 million in both 2011 and 2012.
The global headquarters of The American Ireland Fund is in Boston, Massachusetts.
The American Ireland Fund officers are:
- Chair: John Fitzpatrick, New York
- Former Chair: Loretta Brennan Glucksman, New York
- President and CEO: Kieran McLoughlin
- Treasurer: Christopher M. Condron, New York
- Secretary: Sheila O'Malley, Rockfleet Media, Inc., New York
- The Ireland Funds, The Ireland Funds, Boston, MA, 2014, Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- American Ireland Fund, Charity Navigator, 2014, Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- The Promising Ireland Campaign, The Ireland Funds, Boston, MA, 2014, Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- The American Ireland Fund Chairman, The Ireland Funds, Boston, MA, 2014, Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Our mission, The Ireland Funds, Boston, MA, 2014, Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Lindsay, Susan Getudis (2008), "American Ireland Fund", in Byrne, James Patrick, Coleman, Philip and King, Jason Francis, Ireland and the Americas: Culture, Politics, and History : A Multidisciplinary Encyclopedia 2, ABC-CLIO, p. 53
- Hancock, Ciaran (December 27, 2013). "American Ireland Fund chief Kieran McLoughlin paid $619,000 in 2012". The Irish Times. Retrieved January 7, 2014.