American Lake is located in Lakewood, Washington and Joint Base Lewis-McChord. There are two public parks on the large lake: American Lake North Park & Marina, and Harry Todd Park. Both have lakeside beaches for swimming, fishing, or picnicking. The first also features a boat launching area; the latter has tennis courts. Fishing is a popular activity at American Lake, with cutthroat trout, largemouth bass, rainbow trout, rock bass, smallmouth bass, Sockeye salmon (kokanee) and yellow perch the most sought-after game fish. The Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife regularly monitors the health of the fishery and stocks favored species regularly.
Areas of Interest: (JBLM Side)
Summer's Cove: A small and mostly quiet area of American Lake on the JBLM side that is often swum in by Soldier's Families on off duty days during the Summer. It is located away from the fishing areas and near other areas of Interest, including a nearby park and shore.
Marina and Launching Dock: (JBLM Side)
The lake contains or has contained these islands: Barlow Island, Beard Island, Cors Island, Short Island, and Silcox Island, which is inhabited. Barlow Island was acquired by the State of Washington for Camp Murray in 1931.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to American Lake.|
- Washington State Tourism
- American Lake Vacation Info - Lakelubbers
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Barlow Island
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Beard Island
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cors Island
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Short Island
- Washington State Legislature session laws, 1931, Chapter 57: H. R. 115, "Additional Lands for Camp Murray"
|This Pierce County, Washington state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|