American Residential Services
|Founder||C. Clifford Wright (co-founder)|
|24 states and Washington, DC|
|Donald K. Karnes, CEO|
David M. Slott, President/COO
|Revenue||600 million (2010-2011)|
Number of employees
American Residential Services (ARS) is a United States network of plumbing, and home and commercial heating and air conditioning (HVAC) businesses, operating under the trade name ARS/Rescue Rooter. The trade name came from the acquisition and merging of ARS and Rescue Rooter by their then-parent company ServiceMaster. They have locations in 24 states. The company is based in Memphis, Tennessee. The ARS mascots are Dandy and his sidekick Pronto.
ARS was established in 1975. The name "Rescue Rooter" was trademarked in 1976 by the California-based Rescue Industries Inc. It was a family-owned West Coast plumbing and drain cleaning company. In 1996, ARS was founded to consolidate local and regional HVAC service companies. Shortly after, The Servicemaster Company, based in Downers Grove, Illinois, acquired both Rescue Rooter and ARS, in 1998 and 1999 respectively, and brought them together under the "ARS/Service Express" brand. The company eventually dropped the "Service Express brand and the parent brand was known primarily as “ARS/Rescue Rooter.” In 1998 the company had around 5,000 employees.
In October 2006, ARS/Rescue Rooter was then acquired from ServiceMaster by two private equity firms, Caxton-Iseman Capital and Royal Palm Capital Partners, for $100 million. In May 2014, ARS was acquired by Charlesbank Capital Partners from Caxton-Iseman Capital and Royal Palm Capital Partners.
- "American Residential Services Completes Two Acquisitions". businesswire.com. Business Wire. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- World business directory. Gale Research Inc. 1998. p. 4428. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- "Company Overview of American Residential Services L.L.C." .businessweek.com. Bloomberg. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- Plumbing and PVC bending. Harrison Plumbing and Heating. 2014. Retrieved 26 March 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "History - About Us - ARS/Rescue Rooter". www.ars.com. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- Corporate Yellow Book: Who's who at the Leading Listed U.S. Companies. Monitor Publishing Company. 2008. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- "Rescue rooter name trademarked by Rescue Industries". The Desert News. October 25, 1978. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "herc products inc (HERC:OTC US) - C. Clifford Wright Jr". businessweek.com. Bloomberg. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Caxton-Iseman Capital and Royal Palm Capital Partners Acquire American Residential Services from ServiceMaster | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "ServiceMaster finds buyer for American Residential Services". Memphis Business Journal. American City Business Journals, Inc. October 3, 2006. Retrieved 2009-03-25.