Aminata Dramane Traoré (born 1947) is a Malian author, politician, and political activist. She served as the Minister of Culture and Tourism of Mali from 1997 to 2000 and is a former coordinator of the United Nations Development Programme. She is the current Coordinator of Forum pour l'autre Mali and Associate Coordinator of the International Network for Cultural Diversity and was elected to the board of the International Press Service in July 2005. She is a member of the scientific committee of the Fundacion IDEAS, Spain's Socialist Party's think tank.
Traoré is a prominent critic of globalization and the economic policies of the most developed nations. Specifically, she has voiced opposition to the Western countries' subsidization of their own cotton farmers, which leaves West African countries at a disadvantage in competing for space in Western markets. Traoré is one of the signatories, or members of the Group of Nineteen, of the Porto Alegre Manifesto issued at the 2005 World Social Forum.
She defends Ahmed Sékou Touré, the former president of neighbour country Guinea, saying his bad reputation as a dictator and his attempts at exterminating the Fulas from the Fouta Djalon in Guinea is due to propaganda and misinformation.
- 1999 L'étau. L'Afrique dans un monde sans frontières. Babel Actes Sud.
- 2002 Le Viol de l'Imaginaire. Fayard/Actes Sud.
- 2005 Lettre au Président des Français à propos de la Côte d'Ivoire et de l'Afrique en général. Fayard.
- 2008 L'Afrique humiliée. Fayard.
- 2012 L'Afrique mutilée. Taama Editions.
- Fundacion IDEAS website
- Interview in Kunskapskanalen, SVT (Sweden public television) January 2006
- Aminata Dramane Traoré. Une révoltée altermondialiste 21 mai 2008, Bamako Mali. (interview) Sadou Yattara and Anne Perrin. Rapport Afrique de l’Ouest 2007–2008, OECD. December 2008.
- Aminata Traoré Interview Politis.fr (French)
- Prince Claus Award 2004 summary
|This article about a Malian writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Malian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|