Amon: The Darkside of The Devilman
|Amon: The Darkside of The Devilman|
Japanese cover of Amon: The Darkside of The Devilman Volume 1
(AMON debiruman mokushiroku)
|Written by||Go Nagai|
|Illustrated by||Yu Kinutani|
|Original run||August 1999 – April 2004|
|Original video animation|
|Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman|
|Directed by||Kenichi Takeshita
Toyo Ashida (general supervision)
|Written by||Ritsuko Hayasaka
Yu Kinutani (manga)
|Released||May 24, 2000|
|Devilman Mokushiroku: Strange days|
|Written by||Go Nagai|
|Illustrated by||Yu Kinutani|
Amon: The Darkside of The Devilman (AMON デビルマン黙示録 AMON debiruman mokushiroku?, translated and also known as Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman) is an action/horror manga created by Yu Kinutani, based on the Devilman manga originally created by manga author and artist Go Nagai. The first volume (tankōbon) was published on January 21, 2000, and the final volume was released on April 24, 2004.
Fear runs rampant throughout Tokyo with the revelation that demons in fact exist amongst us. Paranoia and the darker side of humanity boils onto the streets as people turn on one another, suspecting that anyone could in fact be a demon hiding in human clothing. Amidst the growing tensions, tragedy strikes Akira causing his mind to snap. Retreating into his subconscious, this allows his devilish alter-ego Amon to break free from Akira's cage of flesh and wreak havoc on both human and demons alike.
Amon: The Darkside of The Devilman is a re-imagining of the last chapters of the original Devilman manga. Where in the original, Devilman faces Satan after seeing his slain friend Miki Makimura's severed head, Amon sees Akira lose control of himself, and due to his sadness and depression from not being able to protect Miki, allows Amon to gain control of Akira and his powers again.
In Volume 2, we start to see the origins of both Amon, and Sirène, and see more of Earth under the demons' rule.
- Amon: Known as the Lord of War, is one of the most powerful demons known. Lover to the demon, Sirene. Originally "trapped" within Akira Fudo, when Amon attempted to possess Akira, but due to Akira's pure heart, Amon loses control and remains sealed within Akira, giving Akira complete control over Amon's powers. He appears in the anime as a red humanoid demon with black fur and chiropteran wings on his head and back (possibly to symbolize the rivalry between Amon and Satan). He is killed by Akira in one on one combat after being savagely beaten by a flurry of punches.
- Akira Fudo: The main protagonist of Devilman. He maintains the same role as he did in the original Devilman, but his appearance is more intimidating than in the original. After witnessing the brutal murder of Miki, Akira snaps and allows Amon to take control of him. Akira later defeats Amon in combat and rejects Satan instead of fighting him.
- Sirène: Amon's lover and the main protagonist of the Cretacious era ark.
- Ryo Asuka (Satan): Leader of all demons. Wields incredible psychic power, among other abilities. Satan is in love with Akira Fudo (based on the friendship gained as Ryo Asuka, Satan's human form). He appears as a twelve winged seraph, similar to the myth of Lucifer having twelve wings. The story ends with the two meeting face to face and, instead of fighting, Akira walks past him while Ryo looks back at him sadly.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN|
|1||January 21, 2000||ISBN 4-06-349008-4|
|2||December 22, 2000||ISBN 4-06-349040-8|
|3||September 21, 2001||ISBN 4-06-349066-1|
|4||August 23, 2002||ISBN 4-06-349104-8|
|5||July 23, 2003||ISBN 4-06-349136-6|
|6||April 23, 2004||ISBN 4-06-349169-2|
Devilman Mokushiroku: Strange days
A sequel, titled Devilman Mokushiroku: Strange days (デビルマン黙示録 STRANGE DAYS)?), was also published in the same magazine in 2005.
|1||July 22, 2005||ISBN 4-06-349214-1|
On May 24, 2000, a loose adaptation of the first volume of Amon: The Darkside of the Devilman was released. Being based on volume 1 of the manga (no other volumes were released at the time), it is much shorter than the manga, and branches off in an entirely different direction shortly after Amon gains control of Akira Fudo at the end of volume 1.
In the OVA, once Amon gains control and emerges for the first time, Amon begins to slaughter all those in his path, enemy and ally alike. Shortly after, Satan uses his psychic abilities to help Akira awaken within Amon, where Akira (as Devilman) battles Amon, and eventually defeats him. The OVA ends with Akira and Ryo Asuka (who is Satan in his human form) facing each other as if to fight (as they did in the original Devilman manga), as Akira slowly walks past him.
Staff of Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman (2000)
- Creature Design: Yasushi Nirasawa
- Theme Song Performance: Mangahead
- Voice Cast: Shinji Takeda (Akira Fudo/Devilman), Atsuko Enomoto (Miki Makimura), Tomokazu Seki (Ryo Asuka/Satan), Akio Ōtsuka (Amon), Kazuki Yao (Saylos), Rie Tanaka (Miko)
- "fjの教祖様の既読・漫画・衣谷 遊" (in Japanese). Japan. Retrieved 2010-01-26.
- Amon the dark side of the Devilman at PaTaTo's Manga DB (Italian)
- Devilman Mokushiroku Strange Days at PaTaTo's Manga DB (Italian)
- Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman (OVA) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia