Si Chiang Mai District
This article is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (April 2018)
Si Chiang Mai
Amphoe location in Nong Khai Province
|• Total||198.0 km2 (76.4 sq mi)|
|• Density||157.2/km2 (407/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (ICT)|
Si Chiang Mai District was established by King Setthathirath of Lan Xang Kingdom. It was named after Chiang Mai, the hometown of his grandmother, the former queen of Chiang Mai (his mother was the princess from Lan Na). It was created as a district of Nong Khai Province on 4 August 1958, when it was split off from Tha Bo District.
Neighboring districts are (from the southeast clockwise) Tha Bo, Pho Tak, and Sangkhom of Nong Khai Province. To the north across the Mekong river is the Laotian province Vientiane Prefecture. A basalt plateau is flanked by the Mekong River to the north.
- Atop the edge of the plateau is the very popular Buddhist temple (Wat) "Pha Tak Suea". It is the first temple with a skywalk to enhance the views over the Mekong River to Laos. A paragliding launching pad is near the temple.
- At the base of the plateau where the temple access road meets route 211, (the Si Chang Mai tourist highway along the southern bank of the Mekong from Wat Hin Mak Peng"), is the very popular "Than Thong Waterfall". In the "green season" a cascading series of waterfalls pour into the Mekong River.
- Wat "Hin Mak Peng", the popular Buddhist temple on the south bank of the Mekong River, in the sub-district of Phra Phutthabat.
- The Si Chiang Mai Sunday afternoon markets at the western end of the Si Chiang Mai town.
- The Sri Chiang Mai (note the common alternative spelling) Mekong River port for produce and day passes only for ASEAN citizens.
|5.||Nong Pla Pak||หนองปลาปาก||10||7,842|
Missing number is a tambon which now forms Pho Tak District.
There are two sub-district municipalities (thesaban tambon) in the district:
- Si Chiang Mai (Thai: เทศบาลตำบลศรีเชียงใหม่) consisting of parts of sub-district Phan Phrao.
- Nong Pla Pak (Thai: เทศบาลตำบลหนองปลาปาก) consisting of sub-district Nong Pla Pak.
There are three sub-district administrative organizations (SAO) in the district:
- Phan Phrao (Thai: องค์การบริหารส่วนตำบลพานพร้าว) consisting of parts of sub-district Phan Phrao.
- Ban Mo (Thai: องค์การบริหารส่วนตำบลบ้านหม้อ) consisting of sub-district Ban Mo.
- Phra Phutthabat (Thai: องค์การบริหารส่วนตำบลพระพุทธบาท) consisting of sub-district Phra Phutthabat.
- amphoe.com on Si Chiang Mai
|This Nong Khai Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|