Lau was born in Arizona and currently resides in New York City, where she has established her interior design firm. The firm, Amy Lau Design, is located in the West Chelsea arts district. Prior to the development of her own design firm, Lau received a degree in Art History, and a Masters in Fine and Decorative Arts from Sotheby's Graduate program.
In 2001, Lau launched her interior design firm and continued to serve as an independent adviser to decorative arts collectors of the 20th Century.
In 2005, Lau co-founded the Design Miami fair, which assembles galleries specializing in design from the post-war period to the present. Established to run in conjunction with Art Basel Miami Beach, the Design Miami fair has expanded to become a forum for exhibiting, discussing, creating, and collecting designs. In 2011, Amy Lau Design published a monograph  and within the following year Amy accepted an honorary doctorate from the New York School of Interior Design. During 2010-2011, Lau was a spokesperson for Benjamin Moore's print, television, and online campaign "Paint with the Very Best".
The firm recently expanded to include retail design with an Elie Tahari fashion boutique that was published in Interior Design magazine. Amy Lau and her residential interiors have also been featured in publications such as Elle Decor, the New York Times, New York Spaces, Gotham, and House & Garden.
- Design Miami/
- Better.tv[permanent dead link]
- "Expressive Modern: The Interiors of Amy Lau: Amy Lau: 9781580933087: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "News & Events | Blog | 2012 NYSID Commencement | NYSID - New York School of Interior Design". Nysid.edu. 2013-12-05. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "In New Ad Campaign, Benjamin Moore Makes Designers the Stars - UnBeige". Mediabistro.com. 2010-04-28. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Elie Tahari East Hampton - Interior Design Magazine". mark goulet. Retrieved 2014-07-23.