This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cohen in 2015
December 31, 1979|
Tel Aviv, Israel
|Instruments||Clarinet, tenor and soprano saxophone|
|Labels||Anzic, Fresh Sound|
Anat Cohen (born December 31, 1979) is a multiple Grammy nominated New York City-based jazz clarinetist, saxophonist, and bandleader from Tel Aviv, Israel.
Cohen began playing clarinet and saxophone, and in 1996 studied at the Berklee College of Music. She has also recorded with her brothers Avishai Cohen (trumpeter) and Yuval Cohen (alto and soprano saxophonist).
Her debut album, Place & Time, featuring Jason Lindner, Ben Street, Jeff Ballard, and Avishai Cohen, was released in 2005 on Anzic Records. Her latest record Happy Song was released in 2017 also on Anzic Records.
Cohen performs regularly and has appeared at a number of notable jazz festivals, including the Newport Jazz Festival, Montreal International Jazz Festival, Tudo É Jazz Festival, and the North Sea Jazz Festival.
In 2007 she won the awards for "Up and Coming Artist" and "Clarinetist of the Year" from the Jazz Journalists Association. She was also voted Clarinetist of the Year every year between 2008 and 2018 and honored as "Multi-Reedist of the Year" in 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2017 by the Jazz Journalists Association. She has received multiple citations in Down Beat magazine's annual critics' and readers' polls in multiple categories: "Rising Star" in the tenor saxophone (2012), "Rising Star" in the soprano saxophone (2013), and top ranking in the clarinet (2010-2017).
On November 27, 2017 she was nominated for two Grammy Awards - for "Outra Coisa: The Music Of Moacir Santos" (with Marcello Goncalves) in the Best Latin Jazz Album category and for "Rosa Dos Ventos" (with Trio Brasileiro) in the Best World Music Album category.
- Place & Time (2005)
- Poetica (2007)
- Notes From the Village (2008)
- Clarinetwork: Live at the Village Vanguard (2010)
- Claroscuro (2012)
- Luminosa (2015)
With The Anzic Orchestra
- Noir (2007)
With The Choro Ensemble
- Choro Ensemble (2005)
- Nosso Tempo (2008)
With 3 Cohens
- One (2003)
- Braid (2007)
- Family (2011)
- Tightrope (2013)
With Cyro Baptista
- Alegria Da Casa, with Trio Brasileiro (2016)
- Outra Coisa, with Marcello Gonçalves (2017)
- Rosa Dos Ventos, with Trio Brasileiro (2017)
With The Anat Cohen Tentet
- Happy Song (2017)
- Oxford Music Online. Oxford University Press. (2015). Anat Cohen. Retrieved May 30, 2015 from http://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/subscriber/article/epm/89940?q=anat+cohen&search=quick&pos=1&_start=1#firsthit
- Cohen, A. (03 May 2005). Place & Time. New York: Anzic Records. Retrieved May 30, 2015 from http://anzicstore.com/album/place-time
- Cohen, A. (17 March 2015). Happy Song. New York: Anzic Records. Retrieved November 27, 2017 from http://anzicstore.com/album/luminosa
- Official website
- "Hill, Coleman Honored At Jazz Journalists' Awards". Archived from the original on 16 June 2011. Retrieved 19 February 2009.
- "JJA Jazz Awards 2018". JJA Jazz Awards 2018. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
|This article about an Israeli musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a jazz saxophonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a clarinetist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|