||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
December 31, 1979|
Tel Aviv, Israel
|Instruments||Clarinet, tenor and soprano saxophone|
|Labels||Anzic, Fresh Sound|
Anat Cohen is a New York City-based jazz clarinetist, saxophonist, and bandleader from Tel Aviv, Israel.
Cohen began playing clarinet and saxophone, and in 1996 studied at the Berklee College of Music. She has also recorded with her brothers Avishai Cohen (trumpeter) and Yuval Cohen (alto and soprano saxophonist).
Her debut album, Place & Time, features Jason Lindner, Ben Street, Jeff Ballard, and Avishai Cohen, was released in 2005 on Anzic Records. Her latest record Luminosa features Jason Lindner, Joe Martin, and Daniel Freedman, with guests was released in 2015 also on Anzic Records.
Cohen performs regularly and has appeared at a number of notable jazz festivals, including the Newport Jazz Festival, Montreal International Jazz Festival, Tudo É Jazz Festival, and the North Sea Jazz Festival.
In 2007 she won the awards for "Up and Coming Artist" and "Clarinetist of the Year" from the Jazz Journalists Association. She was also voted Clarinetist of the Year in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 and honored as "Multi-Reedist of The Year" in 2012, 2013 and 2015 by the Jazz Journalists Association . She has received multiple citations in Down Beat magazine's annual critics and readers polls in multiple categories including top rankings for "Rising Star" in the tenor and soprano saxophone categories and "Clarinet" .
- Place & Time (2005)
- Poetica (2007)
- Notes From the Village (2008)
- Clarinetwork: Live at the Village Vanguard (2010)
- Claroscuro (2012)
- Luminosa (2015)
With The Anzic Orchestra
- Noir (2007)
With The Choro Ensemble
- Choro Ensemble (2005)
- Nosso Tempo (2008)
With 3 Cohens
- One (2003)
- Braid (2007)
- Family (2011)
With Cyro Baptista
- Oxford Music Online. Oxford University Press. (2015). Anat Cohen. Retrieved May 30, 2015 from http://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/subscriber/article/epm/89940?q=anat+cohen&search=quick&pos=1&_start=1#firsthit
- Cohen, A. (03 May 2005). Place & Time. New York: Anzic Records. Retrieved May 30, 2015 from http://anzicstore.com/album/place-time
- Cohen, A. (17 March 2015). Luminosa. New York: Anzic Records. Retrieved May 30, 2015 from http://anzicstore.com/album/luminosa
- Official website
- Hill, Coleman Honored At Jazz Journalists' Awards
|This article about an Israeli musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a jazz saxophonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a clarinetist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|