|Origin||Gainesville, Florida, United States|
Ancient River is a psychedelic rock band formed in 2008. The band was created by singer/songwriter James Barreto, and features Barreto (vocals/guitar/songwriter) and Alexis Cordova Jr. (drums/vocals).
The band name was taken from the Neil Young song "Thrasher": “Where the eagle glides ascending/There’s an ancient river bending/Down the timeless gorge of changes/Where sleeplessness awaits.”
In reviewing 2011's Songs from North America, the Knoxville Mercury described Ancient River's music as reminiscent of "the sun-baked desert twang of the Meat Puppets and Crazy Horse."
Cordova and Barreto met when Cordova moved to Gainesville to join another band. In the Mercury interview, Cordova is quoted as saying, "when I found out about [Ancient River], if I hadn’t joined, they probably would have been my favorite band in Gainesville. I kind of feel like it was the right time, right place." Cordova now plays drums in the band, which was his first instrument growing up.
The band's origins can be traced back the music scene in Gainesville, Florida and its thriving home grown DIY scene. Barreto, who had trained as an audio engineer, had a home studio and was busy recording local musicians.
Ancient River made their debut at Austin Psych Festival on April 24, 2010. Cordova joined the line up in 2011 and the band began regularly playing the live circuit, playing Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia and Austin Psych Festival for a second time in 2012. Appearances at Los Angeles’ Psycho De Mayo and Desert Stars Festival Pre-Party followed in 2014 along with Milwaukee Psych Fest in 2015.
Currently Barreto is living in London and Cordova is based in Austin, Texas but this distance hasn't impacted their productivity. Ancient River have eight releases. Keeper of the Dawn released in April 14, 2015 was inspired by the Italian horror films of writer/director Dario Argento together with one of the duo's favourite musicians, David Axelrod. Following its release, the band toured North America for 51 shows.
In June 2015, Ancient River joined forces with London director, writer and actor Xevi Soler to produce a music video for their track Stay With Me. This was the soundtrack to Soler's short film Golem.
NME featured Ancient River in their "Under the Radar" section on July 18, 2015.
- 2017 O.D.D.S 2 (LP)
- 2017 The Keeper Never Sleeps (EP)
- 2015 Keeper Of The Dawn (LP)
- 2014 Before Dawn (LP)
- 2012 On The Other Side (LP)
- 2012 Let It Live (LP)
- 2011 Polaroid (EP)
- 2011 Songs from North America (LP)
- 2010 O.D.D.S. (LP)
- 2010 Under the Sun (EP)
- "Ancient River decides 'This Is the Time'". Spin Magazine. April 2015.
- Breznikar, Klemen (28 November 2013). "Ancient River: Inverview with James Barreto". Psychedelic Baby Magazine.
- Muldoon, Ryan (6 April 2010). "Question 4". Revolt Of The Apes.
- Everett, Matthew (3 June 2015). "Ancient River explores the psychedelic frontier". Knoxville Mercury.
- Lima, Dante (3 February 2011). "Ancient River releases new album, Indigo Girls return". Gainesville Sun.
- "Austin Psych Festival 2010 Lineup". Archived from the original on 2015-07-03. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- "Liverpool International Festival Of Psychedelia".
- "Liverpool International Festival Of Psychedelia Lineup and Poster".
- "Psychedelia Festival: Review". Mudkiss.
- "Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia". The Quietus.
- "2012 Lineup". Austin Psych Festival. Archived from the original on 2015-07-22. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- "Psycho De Mayo with Pentagram, Dead Meadow, Kadavar, Saint Vitus, The Shrine". The Observatory. Archived from the original on 14 August 2015. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Guide to Psycho De Mayo 2014". Rabbits Black.
- "Desert Stars Pre-Party". Time Out.[permanent dead link]
- Psychedelic Baby Blog
- "Hollyoaks Later 2013 - Episode 2 - video dailymotion". Dailymotion.
- "Week in Pop". Impose. 17 April 2015.
- Begrand, Adrien (24 June 2015). "Ancient River - "Stay With Me" (video) (premiere)". popMATTERS. Retrieved 5 August 2015.