2 July 1960 |
|Political party||Fine Gael|
|Children||3 sons, 1 daughter|
|Alma mater||Rockwell Agricultural College|
Andrew Doyle (born 2 July 1960) is an Irish Fine Gael politician, and a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Wicklow constituency. He is the Chairman of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
Early life and education
Doyle graduated from Rockwell Agricultural College in County Tipperary in 1978, and as a young farmer in 1981, he won the Stephen Cullinane Scholarship to New Zealand, where he played rugby in Canterbury.
He has been a member of Fine Gael since 1983, and first sought election to Wicklow County Council in the East Wicklow electoral area, where he served from 1999 to 2007, and was Chairman of the Council from 2005 to 2006. He was elected to Oireachtas as a member of the 30th Dáil on his first attempt at the 2007 general election, and was re-elected to the 31st Dáil at the 2011 general election, topping the poll in the constituency.
Before becoming Chairman of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Agriculture, Food and the Marine, he was party spokesperson on Agriculture, Fisheries and Food from July 2010 to March 2011, having previously served as deputy spokesperson on Agriculture with special responsibility for Food and Horticulture from 2007 to 2010.
In the Dáil, he introduced legislation in 2009 entitled the "Food (Fair Trade and Information) Bill" to provide in the interests of the common good for the prohibition of activities which prevent, restrict or distort fair trade in grocery goods in the State. The bill was not enacted. He also produced the first ever parliamentary report on the Offshore Oil and Gas sector in 2012 which called for a new fiscal licencing regime in Offshore Oil and Gas exploration off the coast of Ireland.
As part of the Irish Presidency of the Council of the European Union in 2013, he hosted a conference in Dublin Castle with EU member states Parliamentary Agriculture Committee Chairs from all 27 countries, engaging parliamentarians with speakers such as the EU Commissioner for Agriculture, Dacian Ciolos and the EU Commissioner for Fisheries, Maria Damanaki.
- "Mr. Andrew Doyle". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 15 April 2009.
- "Committee on Agriculture, Food and the Marine – Membership". Oireachtas. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Andrew Doyle TD". Fine Gael. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Andrew Doyle". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 19 February 2008.
- "Bruton & Noonan return to Fine Gael frontbench". RTÉ News. 1 July 2010. Archived from the original on 4 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "Houses of the Oireachtas". Legislation. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Houses of the Oireachtas". Media Zone – Press Releases. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Irish Presidency of the Council of the European Union – Parliamentary Dimension". Meeting of Chairpersons of Agriculture and Fisheries Committees of EU Member States and the European Parliaments. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Wicklow