Andrew John Glyn (30 June 1943 – 22 December 2007) was an English economist, University Lecturer in Economics at the University of Oxford and Fellow and Tutor in Economics in Corpus Christi College. A Marxian economist, his research interests focussed on issues of unemployment and inequality.
Glyn was born in Tetsworth, Oxfordshire. He was the son of John Glyn, the 6th Baron Wolverton, of the Williams & Glyn's Bank banking dynasty. He attended Eton and went on to study economics at Oxford University before becoming a government economist from 1964 to 1966. He was appointed to a fellowship in economics at Corpus Christi where he worked for the rest on his life. During his time at Oxford he tutored both David and Ed Miliband: Ed Miliband's adviser Stewart Wood has described Glyn as Miliband's biggest intellectual influence.
In the 1970s and early 1980s Glyn was a member of the Trotskyist Militant tendency in Oxford, writing a pamphlet critiquing the 'Alternative Economic Strategy' of the Tribune group of MPs, Capitalist Crisis or Socialist Plan in 1978.
- Capitalism Unleashed. Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Social democracy in neoliberal times : the left and economic policy since 1980. Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Colliery closures and the decline of the UK coal industry, with Stephen Machin. Oxford : Institute of Economics and Statistics, University of Oxford, 1996.
- The North, the South, and the environment : ecological constraints and the global economy, with V Bhaskar. St. Martin's Press, 1995.
- A Million Jobs a Year. Verso, 1985.
- Capitalism Since World War II: The Making and Breakup of the Great Boom, with Philip Armstrong and John Harrison. Fontana, 1984. 2nd edition as Capitalism Since 1945, Blackwells 1991. Also translated into Chinese and Korean.
- The British Economic Disaster, with John Harrison. Pluto, 1980; (also translated into Japanese).
- British Capitalism, Workers and the Profit Squeeze, with Bob Sutcliffe. Penguin, 1972; also translated into Italian, German, and Japanese.
- Capitalism in crisis, with Robert B Sutcliffe. Pantheon Books, 1972.
- British capitalism, workers and the profits squeeze with Robert B Sutcliffe. Penguin, 1972.
Other published works
He also published 36 peer-reviewed journal articles, many book chapters and a number of essays. He additionally wrote a number of magazine articles and newspaper columns, including those in The Guardian, Financial Times, New Statesman, and New York Times,
- Obituary: Andrew Glyn, The Guardian, 1 January 2008 – retrieved 30 August 2011
- Andrew Glyn: Leading left-wing economist devoted to the study of inequality, The Independent, 7 January 2008 – retrieved 30 August 2011
- Beckett, Andy (23 February 2017). "PPE: the Oxford degree that runs Britain". theguardian.com. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- Sutcliffe, Bob (January 2011), "Glyn, Andrew John (1943–2007)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/99345
- Andrew Glyn, Socialism Today, issue 115, February 2008. Retrieved 30 August 2011
- OUP catalog entry.
- Reviewed in The Guardian 
- Reviewed in International Review of Applied Economics 
- Reviewed in World Economics 
- Reviewed in De Economist 
- interview and review in Socialist Review .