|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (April 2014)|
Andrew S. Long (born 1965) is an Australian geophysicist. He has a PhD in geophysics (1996) from the University of Western Australia, and a post-doctoral term at Stanford University. He is a leader in the application of geophysical technologies to exploration for oil and gas in marine areas, and has written and presented several papers at the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), the European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE), the Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (ASEG), the Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association (APPEA) and many other international conventions and journals.
Awards include the 1992 Alumni Medal award for outstanding post-graduate from Curtin University of Technology, ASEG Best Presentation (1994), ASEG Best Paper (2004), Indonesian Petroleum Association (IPA) Best Paper Professional for Geophysics and Formation Evaluation (2009) and APPEA Best Oral Presentation (2014). Early leader in the application of satellite altimetry technology to the mapping of the marine gravitational field in the early 1990s, the application of modelling methods to 3D seismic survey planning, the development of High-Density 3D (HD3D) technology for seismic exploration, the introduction of Multi-Azimuth and Wide-Azimuth 3D technology into the Asia-Pacific region, the introduction of Dual-Sensor Streamer technology to the oil and gas industry., the development and commercialization of the Multi-Level Source solution for 'broadband' seismic, the development of the Simultaneous Long Offset method for efficiently acquiring ultra-long offset marine seismic surveys, and the adaptation of Separated Wavefield Imaging to improve marine seismic survey efficiency.
He has lectured extensively on the applications of 'broadband' seismic technologies, with particular emphasis upon ultra-low frequency benefits and challenges, providing professional courses on behalf of the EAGE and SEG. Versions of the 2009 Multi-Level Source paper were awarded Best Presentation awards at the Indonesian Petroleum Association (IPA) and SEG annual meetings, and the paper titled Low Frequency Seismic: The Next Revolution in Resolution was awarded Best Presentation at the 2014 annual APPEA meeting.
In 2009 he was honoured as the inaugural Honorary Lecturer for Pacific South for the Society of Exploration Geophysicists, the largest internal professional society for the geophysical community.
- "Seismic Technology A Boon for Inquisitive Minds". PESA News. Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia. December 2005—January 2006. ISSN 1039-4419. Archived from the original on 25 Aug 2006. Retrieved 12 January 2012. Check date values in:
- "Curtin University of Technology". Curtin.edu.au. 8 August 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2012.[not specific enough to verify]
- Long, A.S.; Spurling, T.A. (1993). "Increased resolution of processed satellite altimeter data: The development of a quality global gravity database". Exploration Geophysics. CSIRO Publishing. 24 (4): 663–670. ISSN 1834-7533. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Long, Andrew S.; Hoffmann, Hans-Jurgen; Du, Bingwen (2001). "Understanding elastic wavefield recording by detailed 3D survey planning and simulation". ASEG Extended Abstracts. CSIRO Publishing (1): 1–4. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Long, Andrew S. (1 October 2004). "Postsurvey calibration of 3D seismic results to presurvey modeling predictions". The Leading Edge. Society of Exploration Geophysicists. 23 (10): 1033–1036. doi:10.1190/1.1813364. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Long, Andrew S.; Ramsden, Charles R.T; Hoffmann, Jurgen (2003). "In pursuit of the ideal 3D streamer symmetric sampling criteria". ASEG Extended Abstracts. CSIRO Publishing (2): 1–4. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- ""Improving 3D images": GEO ExPro, 06-2004" (PDF). Geoexpro.com. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- ""The revolution in seismic resolution: High density 3D spatial sampling developments and results": ASEG Meeting, 2004" (PDF). Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- ""Multi-Azimuth Seismic": PESA News, 04-2005". Pesa.com.au. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- ""Increased resolution and penetration from a towed dual-sensor streamer": First Break, December 2007".
- ""A calibrated dual-sensor streamer investigation of deep target signal resolution and penetration on the NW Shelf of Australia": SEG Annual Meeting, 2008".
- ""Multi‐Level airgun array: A simple and effective way to enhance the low frequency content of marine seismic data": SEG Annual Meeting, 2009".
- ""Simultaneous Long Offset (SLO) Towed Streamer Seismic Acquisition": EAGE Annual Meeting, 2013".
- ""Mitigation of the 3D Cross-line Acquisition Footprint Using Separated Wavefield Imaging of Dual-sensor Streamer Seismic": EAGE Annual Meeting, 2013".
- SEG Honorary Lecturer Program Archived 17 February 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Multi-azimuth and Wide-azimuth Seismic: Foundations, Challenges, and Opportunities": 2009 SEG Honorary Lecture for Pacific South[dead link]