Andy Jones (American football)
|No. 17 – Detroit Lions|
|Born:||June 28, 1994|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||East Ridge (FL)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Player stats at PFR|
Jones attended East Ridge High School, where he played as a wide receiver and became a starter until his senior season. After graduation he enrolled at Division I-AA Jacksonville University, which was a part of the non-athletic-scholarship Pioneer Football League.
He became a starter as a sophomore, registering 31 receptions (third on the team) for 457 yards (14.7-yard average per catch) and 2 touchdowns in 11 games (8 starts). The next year, he had 46 receptions (tied for the team lead) for 684 yards (led the team) and 7 touchdowns.
On May 6, 2016, Jones was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Dallas Cowboys, after a strong showing at the University of Florida's Pro Day. Taking advantage that Dez Bryant was still recuperating from previous injuries, he was able to use the extra practice time to have some notable performances in training camp. Unfortunately, he couldn't translate that production into the preseason games and was waived on September 3, 2016 and was signed to the practice squad the next day. After spending his entire rookie season on the practice squad, Jones signed a reserve/future contract with the Cowboys on January 17, 2017.
On September 3, 2017, Jones was claimed off waivers by the Houston Texans, who had scouted him when they were forced by the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey to spend three days practicing in the Dallas Cowboys' facilities. The Texans acquired him to improve their depth, after having only four receivers on the roster and knowing that Will Fuller was going to miss 3 games while recovering from a broken collarbone. He appeared in his first NFL career game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was waived on September 13 and later re-signed to the active roster on September 18. He was passed on the depth chart by rookie Chris Thompson and was released on September 27, 2017.
On September 1, 2018, Jones was placed on the physically unable to perform list to start the season. He was activated off PUP on November 3, 2018, but was waived two days later and re-signed to the practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster on November 17, 2018.He made his first career NFL reception on November 22 during the Thanksgiving day game against the Chicago Bears. He got his first touchdown reception on December 16 against the Bills.
- Helman, David (May 6, 2016). "Cowboys Make Five Roster Moves; Announce Undrafted Free Agents". DallasCowboys.com. Archived from the original on September 5, 2017. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Helman, David (September 3, 2016). "Three Former Draft Picks Among Cowboys' Cuts; McFadden Moved To NFI". DallasCowboys.com. Archived from the original on February 22, 2018. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Helman, David (September 4, 2016). "Cowboys Sign Sanchez, Release Showers; 7 Added To Practice Squad". DallasCowboys.com. Archived from the original on August 15, 2017. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Knox, Stephen (January 17, 2017). "Dallas Cowboys sign TE Rico Gathers, WR Andy Jones to futures contracts". All22.com. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Phillips, Rob (September 2, 2017). "Cowboys Make 38 Moves, One Trade To Reach 53; Kellen Moore Released". DallasCowboys.com.
- "Texans claim Andy Jones, waive Akeem Hunt". HoustonTexans.com. September 3, 2017.
- "Transactions: Texans sign Evan Baylis". HoustonTexans.com. September 13, 2017.
- "TRANSACTIONS: Texans sign Andy Jones, Jah Reid". HoustonTexans.com. September 18, 2017.
- "TRANSACTIONS: Texans sign Chris Thompson". HoustonTexans.com. September 27, 2017.
- "Lions sign LB Thurston Armbrister to active roster and place G Zac Kerin on IR". DetroitLions.com. September 30, 2017.
- "Lions sign WR Andy Jones to active roster, place WR TJ Jones on IR". DetroitLions.com. December 19, 2017.
- "Lions establish 53-man roster". DetroitLions.com. September 1, 2018.
- "Lions activate WR Andy Jones from Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform". DetroitLions.com. November 3, 2018.
- "Lions waive WR Andy Jones". Lions Wire. USA Today. November 5, 2018.
- "Lions sign WR Andy Jones to active roster from practice squad". DetroitLions.com. November 17, 2018.