December 15, 1978 |
|Show||The Andy Slater Show|
|Station(s)||WINZ (South Florida)
|Time slot||Weekdays 2-4:00 p.m. EST|
Slater started his broadcasting career at Miami Killian Senior High, where he was Sports Director for his junior and senior year, and at Franklin Pierce College, located in Rindge, New Hampshire. Slater also received a few awards for Sports Show of the Year while attending Lynn University in Boca Raton, FL. In early 2008, Slater began his next programming step, starting The Andy Slater Show. Slater also often appears on Miami's local ABC affiliate WPLG.
Slater was one of six judges for Miss Florida USA 2016 in which Brie Gabrielle was crowned winner in July 2015, and Miss Florida USA 2017, where Linette De Los Santos won after the original winner was stripped of her crown.
When Slater breaks a story, he refers to it as a "Slater Scoop." Slater reports local and national stories on-air and online, many of the times being the first to obtain information.
In July 2015, New York Giants star football player Jason Pierre-Paul injured his hand during a fireworks accident. Slater was first to report the incident, which gained national attention. Shortly after, Slater also stated that Pierre-Paul's hand injury was severe. This report was refuted by others, however, it was correct. A few days later, ESPN obtained medical records which showed one of Pierre-Paul's fingers was amputated.
In January 2017, Slater exclusively reported and obtained surveillance footage of 7-foot-1 St. John's basketball recruit, Zach Brown, stealing money from a cash register at a South Florida Walgreens.
In December 2016, Slater appeared on ABC World News Tonight and gained worldwide attention after recording exclusive video of a fight at Sawgrass Mills mall in Sunrise, FL. The following day, Slater also exclusively interviewed the Swiss tourist involved in the fight.
In December 2016, Miami Dolphins' quarterback Ryan Tannehill sustained an injury during a game vs. Arizona. Slater was first to report the QB's injury was to his ACL. Slater also exclusively reported that Tannehill was out for the season.
In October 2016, Miami Dolphins' offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil was surprisingly inactive for the team's game vs. Tennessee. Slater was first to report that Tunsil told the team he fell in the hotel shower, causing an injury.
In July 2016, Miami Hurricanes running back Mark Walton had criminal charges against him dropped. Slater had exclusive video from inside the courtroom. Slater also was given exclusive details about the allegations against Walton and claims his attorney made against police.
In September 2016, Slater uncovered a connection between former Miami Hurricanes football players, a car dealer, and an NFL agent. The players were suspended, then dismissed just prior due to involvement in this scandal.
In December 2015, LeBron James sat out a game against the Miami Heat in Miami because of fatigue. Slater exclusively reported that after the game, late into the night (despite being "tired"), James partied at a Miami nightclub.
In November 2015, Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was involved in a scuffle at a Miami bar. Slater was first to report that the person involved in the altercation with Puig was a former mixed martial arts fighter.
In November 2015, Slater dropped a story on many issues inside the Miami Marlins clubhouse. Slater reported how the team's star pitcher Jose Fernandez asked when he'd be traded on multiple occasions. The story attracted national attention.
In November 2015, Miami Heat player Gerald Green was accused of punching a man in his condominium lobby. Slater was the first to report that the Miami Police Department did not believe Green threw a punch, changing much of the story.
In November 2015, Slater had the exclusive details on how Cleveland Browns running back Duke Johnson was kicked out of Sun Life Stadium prior to the start of a Miami Hurricanes football game. Security at the stadium was unaware who Johnson was. After being told to leave, Johnson was not allowed back into the stadium because of a separate backpack issue.
In September 2015, wife of Miami Dolphins player Brent Grimes, Miko Grimes, was arrested at Sun Life Stadium prior to a game. Slater was the first to acquire the exact details of the arrest from police.
In June 2015, Slater received an email from the National Football League  stating that it would not be permissible for Miami Dolphins' players Jordan Cameron, A. J. Francis, and Jason Fox to participate in his monthly poker tournament because it would violate the NFL's gambling policy. After the players were banned from the event, many national questions were raised about NFL players having casino ties.
In May 2015, the Miami Marlins held their annual charity casino night at Marlins Park. Players were scheduled to attend the event in which fans paid $100 to partake in. Not one player showed up for the event. Fans become aggravated, but Slater was told the players participation was "optional".
In May 2015, several Miami Dolphins players took a trip to Louisiana to persuade football player La'el Collins to sign with their team. Slater took exclusive video of the players returning to Miami-Opa Locka Executive Airport where they immediately left in their vehicles. Just one day after the meeting, Collins signed with the Dallas Cowboys instead.
In January 2015, wife of Miami Dolphins player Brent Grimes, Miko Grimes, went on a well publicized Twitter rant. Slater was able to exclusively interview Miko Grimes after her flight landed at Miami International Airport.
In December 2014, retired baseball player Derek Jeter took a tour of Marlins Park with Miami Marlins team owner Jeffrey Loria. Slater had the scoop on this meeting at the ballpark, which led to speculation of Jeter wanting to partially own a piece of the franchise.
In September 2014, University of Miami quarterback Kevin Olsen was arrested in South Miami, FL. Slater was first to obtain details from the police report. Subsequently, it was found that Gregory Golden, nephew of the team's head football coach, was connected to an initial incident which led to Olsen's arrest. Slater was able to gather information on the incident, which was later verified via the police report.
In July 2014, football players Mike Pouncey and his brother Maurkice Pouncey were alleged to have assaulted three people at a Miami Beach nightclub. Slater spoke to witnesses, the Pounceys security manager, and obtained a picture from inside the club. On July 25, 2014, the victims filed a lawsuit against the Pouncey brothers. Slater was the first to obtain a copy of the lawsuit which alleged a female was knocked unconscious.
In July 2014, a restaurant credit card receipt signed by Hall of Fame football player Warren Sapp went viral. Sapp did not leave the restaurant's server any gratuity. Slater was the first to speak to the server and restaurant owner about the incident.
- "The Andy Slater Show". WINZ. January 6, 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Andy Slater Joins 940-AM WINZ". . December 19, 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013. External link in
- "The Andy Slater Show". iHeartRadio. January 6, 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "More radio changes locally: Andy Slater is leaving his afternoon show". Miami Herald. December 11, 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "New Miss Florida USA crowned in Fort Lauderdale". WPLG. July 12, 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Torres, Peter Burke, Shyann Malone, Andrea (2016-07-23). "Miss Florida USA stripped of title". Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "O.J. Simpson Speaks to Andy Slater". Miami Herald. June 10, 2008. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Andy Slater on Twitter". Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Jose Fernandez, Miami Marlins All-Star pitcher, killed in boating accident". Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Jason Pierre-Paul Fireworks Injury: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.com. July 5, 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "Jason Pierre-Paul Hospitalized After Fireworks Accident". Forbes. July 5, 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "Jason Pierre-Paul has finger amputated, expected to play in '15". ESPN. July 8, 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "Exclusive: St. John's star hoops recruit arrested again, accused of robbing Walgreens". Slater Scoops. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- Braziller, Zach (2017-01-09). "St. John's elite recruit arrested for ripping off cash register". New York Post. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- News, ABC. "Video: Police Forces and Mall Security Attempt to Stop String of Violent Mall Brawls". ABC News. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Video shows shoe store manager punching Swiss tourist in the face". Mail Online. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Exclusive: Full video and details of Sawgrass Mills Brawl". Slater Scoops. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Exclusive Interview: Mall brawl customer lashes out at Steve Madden employee". Slater Scoops. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Andy Slater on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Sources: Tunsil injured himself in hotel shower". Slater Scoops. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Miami Dolphins to announce Hard Rock Stadium". Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "Exclusive: Walton's lawyer alleges guns, lies, and false charges by several cops". Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "UM McDonald's All-American arrested". Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- "Car dealer in Canes scandal linked to NFL agent and former player's attorney". Slater Scoops. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "UM suspends Young, investigates whether players broke NCAA rules". miamiherald. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Camp Day ends in vicious brawl for Marlins, Reds Single-A affiliates". Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "Cop's body camera video shows the moment a woman tries to bribe him". Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "Exclusive Video: Miami stripper tries to bribe cop". Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "Cops: Baseball player chokes, threatens to kill valet, unleashes slur-filled tirade". Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "LeBron James' hopes for 82 games dashed, Cavaliers coach David Blatt to keep him out against Miami". Cleveland.com. December 5, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "LeBron was too tired to play, but not to party". Slater Scoops. December 6, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Police: Dodgers OF Yasiel Puig gets swollen eye in bar fight with bouncer". USA Today. November 28, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Yasiel Puig's bar scuffle was against MMA fighter". Slater Scoops. November 28, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "The Miami Marlins clubhouse was a circus, literally". Slaterscoops. November 18, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Report: Marlins' Fernandez demanded trade multiple times, considered 'selfish' by team". Slater Scoops. November 19, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Police report: Miami Heat guard Gerald Green punched person on day he was hospitalized". Miami Herald. November 11, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Miami police do not believe Gerald Green threw a punch". Slater Scoops. November 11, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Duke Johnson was kicked out of Sun Life Stadium before backpack issue". Slater Scoops. November 7, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Miko Grimes arrested at Miami Dolphins game". Slater Scoops. September 27, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Dolphins Players Not Permitted to be in Poker Tournament". 940 WINZ. June 9, 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Anti-gambling NFL nixes three Dolphins playing in a poker tournament". Yahoo. June 11, 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "NFL allows players to engage in certain types of gambling". NBC Sports. June 11, 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "SLATER SCOOP: Marlins say player attendance at charity event last night was optional after none showed up.". Twitter. May 22, 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Mike Pouncey, other Dolphins arriving from trip to visit La'el Collins.". 940 WINZ. May 26, 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "La'el Collins signs with Dallas Cowboys". NFL.com. May 7, 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Video Shows Ex-Miami Dolphin Rob Konrad's Shock at Learning He Swam 16 Hours to Shore". ABC News. February 25, 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "What Do We Know About Rob Konrad's 16 Hours At Sea?". Deadspin. January 13, 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Wife of Dolphins' Brent Grimes blasts the NFL in long, profane Twitter rant". Washington Post. January 26, 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "SLATER SCOOP: Miko Grimes Speaks On Twitter Rant". YouTube/Andy Slater. January 26, 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Derek Jeter Owning the Marlins Isn't Really All That Crazy of an Idea". USA Today/The Big Lead. December 5, 2014. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Canes QB Kevin Olsen Arrested". 940 WINZ. September 15, 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Nephew To Al Golden Connected to Kevin Olsen Incident". 940 WINZ. September 18, 2014. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Miami Man Accuses Pouncey Brothers of Assault". NBC Miami. July 13, 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Pounceys sued by three people after alleged incident at nightclub". NBC Sports. July 25, 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Warren Sapp Waitress: I Didn't Insult Sapp". TMZ. July 2, 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Woman refused to leave apartment apparently shared by 49ers' Colin Kaepernick". Contra Costa Times. April 15, 2014. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "Justin Bieber Arrested for DUI". NBC Miami. January 23, 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Viola makes play for Florida Panthers". NY Post. September 17, 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- "Racist Tweets Directed At Jacory Harris Found". September 20, 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2012.