Hartig has had particular success in the role of Mimì in Puccini's La bohème. She first sang Mimì in 2006 at the Cluj-Napoca Romanian National Opera. She sang the role in Welsh National Opera's 2012 new production directed by Annabel Arden, and has since sung the role with The Royal Opera, London, the Metropolitan Opera, New York, and the Vienna State Opera. In 2012, London's Daily Telegraph reported that she was "enjoying special success" as Mimì.
On 1 November 2014, Hartig made her Metropolitan Opera Live in HD debut as Micaëla in Carmen. Following the cancellation of Ailyn Pérez, Hartig made her debut at the Gran Teatre del Liceu, Barcelona in July 2015 as Violetta in La traviata . On 30 January 2016, she sang Liù from Turandot in another Metropolitan Opera Live in HD performance alongside Nina Stemme in the title role, Marco Berti as Calaf and Alexander Tsymbalyuk as Timur.
On 4 December 2018, Hartig was Maria Boccanegra (Amelia Grimaldi) for the Opera National de Paris (Bastille) in Simon Boccanegra (Giuseppe Verdi).
- "Anita Hartig". Wiener Staatsoper. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- "Romanian Artists abroad – Soprano Anita Hartig". Radio Romania Muzical. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "Anita Hartig: new face". The Telegraph. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- "Valentina Nafornita y Anita Hartig debutan en el Gran Teatro del Liceo", La Vanguardia, 22 May 2015 (in Spanish)
- "In 'Turandot' and 'La Bohème,' a New Depth of Emotion". The New York Times. Retrieved February 5, 2016.