The Commune church
|Intercommunality||Picardie des Châteaux|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Ambroise Centonze-Sandras|
|Area1||9.49 km2 (3.66 sq mi)|
|• Density||200/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||02018 /02320|
|Elevation||52–166 m (171–545 ft)
(avg. 70 m or 230 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aniziens or Aniziennes
Anizy-le-Chateau is located some 40 km south by south-east of Saint Quentin and 20 km south-west of Laon. The commune is accessed by the D5 road from Chivy-les-Etouvelles which passes west through the village then continues north through Brancourt-en-Laonnois. The D14 road comes from Pinon in the south in a north-west direction intersecting the D5 west of the village. Also from Pinon is the D26 which runs north directly to the village. The D265 also comes from Wissignicourt in the north and the D26 runs north-east from the village to Faucoucourt. The town urbane area covers some 15% of the commune with the rest being farmland and a large forest in the south-west.
The Ailette flows along the southern border of the commune to the west and parallel to the Canal de l'Oise à l'Aisne. The Ru du Bordet flows south-west through the commune from Brancourt-en-Laonnois to the Ailette river. There is a network of ponds and reservoirs in the south-east of the commune near the river. The Fosse du Marais forms part of the eastern border of the commune and also flows into the Ailette.
The commune was given by Clovis I to Saint Remi who in turn gave it to the Bishop of Laon. The County was created in 1397 by Charles VI in favour of Jean de Roucy, the Bishop of Laon. These bishops built a mighty castle which was rebuilt in the 16th century by the Cardinal de Bourbon and rebuilt again in the 18th century by Monseigneur de Rochechouart who also paved the whole town.
Azure, Semé-de-lis of Or debruised by a cross Argent, a crozier in gules surmounted in chief by a small inescutcheon azure with a fleur de lys of Or, over all 2 keys azure saltirewise.
List of Successive Mayors of Anizy-le-Château
|2001||2008||Michel Reb||PS||Retired Vetterinarian|
(Not all data is known)
In 2010, the commune had 1,895 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the town since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Sites and Monuments
- The Park is registered as an historical monument.
- The Church contains three items which are registered as historical objects:
- Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse
- Geoffroy de Billy, died in Anizy castle
- Works by Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse
- Anizy-le-Château official website (in French)
- Anizy-le-Château on Lion1906
- Anizy-le-Château on Google Maps
- Anizy-le-Château on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Anizy-le-Château on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Anizy-le-Château on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002  Archived 2016-03-06 at the Wayback Machine., the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Aisne (in French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA02001403 Park (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000027 Commemorative plaque of a donation by the Cardinal of Rochechouart (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000026 Painting: Portrait of Cardinal Rochechouart (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000025 Tombstone of Claude Allongé (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anizy-le-Château.|