|Directed by||N. Maharajan|
|Produced by||S. S. Chakravarthy|
|Written by||N. Maharajan|
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Edited by||B. S. Vasu-Saleem|
|24 October 2003|
Anjaneya is a 2003 Tamil action film directed by N. Maharajan, featuring Ajith Kumar, Meera Jasmine in lead roles, alongside an ensemble cast. The film, produced by S. S. Chakravarthy, had its score and soundtrack composed by Mani Sharma. The film was later dubbed into Hindi under the same name in 2012.
DCP Paramaguru (Ajith Kumar) is an efficient police officer who fights with the scum of the society. He later masquerades as a thief to infiltrate into the underworld. The bad guys are surprised to find that Paramguru is the DCP, out to get them. So they all gang up against him. In this process, a thrilling encounter takes place between the good and the evil. Paramaguru is helped in his fight against injustice by Divya (Meera Jasmine) who falls in love with him.
- Ajith Kumar as DCP Paramaguru
- Meera Jasmine as Divya
- Raghuvaran as Venketeaswaran, Paramaguru's father
- Seetha as Prabhakaran's mother
- Jaya Prakash Reddy as Jaya Prakash
- FEFSI Vijayan as Vettu Ramasamy
- Ramesh Khanna as Kolai
- Kovai Sarala as Old Thief
- Adithya Menon as Siva
- Anu Hasan as Anu, Paramaguru's sister
- Ilavarasu as Eshwarapandiyan, Paramaguru's uncle
- Mohan V. Raman as Divya's father, Advocate
- Girish Karnad as Retired Judge
- Mansoor Ali Khan as Contractor
- Ponnambalam as Veerapan
- Mahanadi Shankar as Kulithalai Samy
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Government Employee
- Vietnam Veedu Sundaram as Paramaguru's neighbor
- Besant Ravi
- Sampath Ram as Palani Mani
- Ravikanth as Police
- Rathi special appearance in "Pavadai" song
- Art = S.Maniraj
- Screenplay and Dialogue Help = Shanmughapriyan
- Co-direction = Rajan jai santhosh
- Production Co-Ordination = K. Balachandran
The leading female role was eventually handed to Meera Jasmine even though Reemma Sen was also approached earlier for the film. The film feature Ajith Kumar in his first role as a police officer, before further appearances in Kireedam, Aegan, Mankatha, Arrambam and Yennai Arindhaal. The film was shot within 47 days, with Ajith reportedly working extra time to complete scenes. Producers downplayed any publicity for the film, releasing the audio with little fanfare and not releasing a teaser trailer.
|Soundtrack album by Mani Sharma|
|Released||22 July 2003|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
- Ovvoru Naalu – Tippu, Chorus
- Agap Porula – Unnikrishnan, Sujatha
- Paisa Gopuram – Karthik, Anuradha Sriram
- Paavadai Panjavarnam – Shankar Mahadevan, Chorus
- Vennila Vennila – Udit Narayan, Harini
Made on a high budget of ₹10 Crore Anjaneya received mixed to negative reviews from audience and critics, with the critic from The Hindu that “Ajith's acting was immatured” also claiming"the lack of consistency in the treatment affects the film no end", criticizing Maharajan's direction. The movie ended as a flop at Boxoffice. The satellite rights of the film were sold to Jaya TV
Prior to release, Telugu actor Rajasekhar bought the remake rights of the film, however plans were dropped.
- "Meera Jasmine confirmed! 'Anchaneya's confusions end". www.ajithkumar.fr.fm. 28 June 2003. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Variety fare for Deepavali". The Hindu. 24 October 2003. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- Anjaneya Tamil Movie Songs Download & Listen To Music By Mani Sharma – Listen High Quality mp3 Anjaneya – Songs Free @. Starmusiq.com. Retrieved on 5 February 2017.
- "Anjaneya". The Hindu. 7 November 2003. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- HostOnNet.com. "BizHat.com — Anjaneya Review. Ajith, Meera Jasmine, Raghuvaran, Anu Hassan, Manivannan". Movies.bizhat.com. Retrieved 30 July 2013.