Anna S. Þorvaldsdóttir
Anna Sigríður Þorvaldsdóttir (Anna Thorvaldsdottir) (born 11 July 1977) is an Icelandic composer and 2012 winner of the Nordic Council Music Prize. In 2015, she was chosen as the New York Philharmonic's Kravis Emerging Composer, an honor that includes a $50,000 cash prize and a commission to write a composition for the orchestra; she is the second recipient. The orchestra later performed the premiere of her symphonic poem Metacosmos under the conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen in April 2018.
Thorvaldsdottir studied composition at the University of California, San Diego, gaining her MA and PhD. Her music is frequently performed in Europe and in the United States, and is often influenced by landscapes and nature. Thorvaldsdottir is currently Composer-in-Residence with the Iceland Symphony Orchestra.
The Iceland Symphony Orchestra has premiered and recorded four of Thorvaldsdottir's orchestra pieces, conducted by Ilan Volkov, Christian Lindberg, Rumon Gamba, Daníel Bjarnason, and Bernharður Wilkinson. The Icelandic CAPUT Ensemble has also premiered and recorded major works by her, conducted by Snorri Sigfus Birgisson. Other ensembles that she has worked with include e.g. BIT20 Ensemble, Musiques Nouvelles, and the International Contemporary Ensemble. Thorvaldsdottir's orchestra work AERIALITY was commissioned by the Iceland Symphony Orchestra and premiered in November 2011, conducted by Ilan Volkov.
Thorvaldsdottir was awarded the 2012 Nordic Council Music Prize for her orchestral work Dreaming, one of the pieces on her album Rhízōma which was released on 25 October 2011 on the American label Innova Recordings.
- Morgunblaðið, 11.07.2017, "Tónskáld sem skynjar heiminn sem tónlist" (Icelandic)
- "Anna Thorvaldsdóttir". Nordic Council Music Prize. 2012. Retrieved 13 September 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Michael Cooper, "Philharmonic Chooses Anna Thorvaldsdottir for Emerging Composer Program," New York Times, June 5, 2015, URL=http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/philharmonic-chooses-anna-thorvaldsdottir-for-emerging-composer-porgram/
- Barone, Joshua (April 4, 2018). "The New York Philharmonic Channels the Chaos of the Cosmos". The New York Times. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Tommasini, Anthony (April 5, 2018). "Review: An Orchestral Odyssey Through Chaos and Beauty". The New York Times. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Lanzilotti, Anne (May 18, 2017). "Anna Thorvaldsdottir: A Part of Nature". Music & Literature.
- "Anna Thorvaldsdottir named new Composer-in-Residence". Iceland Symphony Orchestra. Retrieved 2018-02-03.
|This Icelandic biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a composer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|