Anne Golon (17 December 1921 – 14 July 2017) was a French author, better known to English-speaking readers as Sergeanne Golon. She was most known for a series of novels about a heroine called Angelique.
Born Simone Changeux in Toulon, a port in south-eastern France, was the daughter of Pierre Changeux, a scientist and a captain in the French Navy. She was interested in painting and writing from early childhood and published her first novel, The Country from behind my Eyes, when she was 18 under the pen name Joëlle Danterne. During World War II she travelled via bicycle through France to Spain. She wrote using different pen-names, helped to create France Magazine, and was awarded a literary prize for The Patrol of the Saint Innocents.
She was sent to Africa as a journalist, where she met Vsevolod Sergeïvich Goloubinoff, her future husband, Serge Golon. They collaborated on Angélique, Marquise of the Angels (1956), the first book in the series. The book was an overnight success. When originally published in France, the books were credited to Serge and Anne Golon, Anne being the author and husband Serge having done much of the historical research. The two names were merged into Sergeanne Golon by the British publishers when the books were translated.
In 1972, Anne and Serge Golon went to Canada to continue their research. That year, as Anne wrote Angélique and the Ghosts, Serge died.
Anne carried on writing and brought up her four children at the same time. Between Serge's death and 1985, Anne wrote four more volumes, beginning with the second half of Ghosts (both portions published in French as a single volume, Angelique in Quebec) and proceeding through Angélique's Victory.
Anne Golon was reduced to a state close to poverty and filed a lawsuit against the French publisher Hachette for abuse of copyright and for her unpaid royalties. She won her battle over the publishing rights to her Angélique stories. After a legal battle in France lasting nearly a decade, she reached an agreement which left her the sole owner of the works.
- Angélique, the Marquise of the Angels
- Angélique: The Road to Versailles (published in the US and the UK with the first volume, simply as Angélique)
- Angélique and the King
- Angélique and the Sultan (alternative title, Angélique in Barbary)
- Angélique in Revolt
- Angélique in Love
- The Countess Angélique
- The Temptation of Angélique (in Canada, The Temptation of Angélique 1: The Jesuit Trap and The Temptation of Angélique 2: The Downfall of Goldbeard)
- Angélique and the Demon
- Angélique and the Ghosts
- La romancière Anne Golon, auteure de la série «Angélique», est morte
- BFMTV - Actualités en continu et info en direct et replay
- Joelle d'Anterne (1943) Au pays de derrière mes yeux, Desclée de Brouwer, Paris OCLC 729900701
- Anne Golon (1947) La Patrouille des saints-innocents, Alsatia, Paris OCLC 491557649
- Anne Golon; Serge Golon (1956) Angélique, marquise des anges, J'ai lu, Paris ISBN 978-2-27722-488-4