Anne Mary Sibylla Abel Smith
28 July 1932
(m. 1957; div. 1981)
|Parent(s)||Colonel Sir Henry Abel Smith |
Lady May Abel Smith
Anne Mary Sibylla Liddell-Grainger, Baroness of Ayton (née Abel Smith; born 28 July 1932) is the mother of British politician Ian Liddell-Grainger. Her maternal grandparents were Alexander Cambridge, 1st Earl of Athlone, and Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone.
She was born in Kensington Palace, the daughter of Colonel Sir Henry Abel Smith and Lady May Abel Smith (formerly Princess May of Teck). She married David Liddell-Grainger, a Scottish politician, on 14 December 1957. They divorced in 1981.
They had five children and eight grandchildren:
- Ian Richard Peregrine Liddell-Grainger (born 23 February 1959); married on 31 October 1985 to Jill Nesbitt (born 9 March 1956). They have three children:
- Peter Richard Liddell-Grainger (born 6 May 1987)
- Sophie Victoria Liddell-Grainger (born 27 December 1988); married on 10 August 2019 to James Boardman.
- May Alexandra Liddell-Grainger (born 9 September 1992); partner Christopher Burns.
- Charles Montagu Liddell-Grainger (born 23 July 1960); married on 23 January 1992 to Karen Peta Humphreys but they divorced in 1999. He remarried Martha Margaretha de Clermont on 20 October 2008. They are now separated.
- Simon Rupert Liddell-Grainger (born 28 December 1962); married Romana Maria Rogoshewska on 26 January 1984 but they divorced. He remarried Nathalie Judith Poulard on 4 February 2000. They have two children:
- Simon Alexander Liddell-Grainger (born 27 June 2000)
- Matthew Willis Liddell-Grainger (born 8 October 2003)
- Alice Mary Liddell-Grainger (born 3 March 1965); married Pietro Panaggio on 13 August 1990. They have two children:
- Danilo Pietro Panaggio (born 19 March 1996)
- Jessica Alice Panaggio (born 24 June 1998)
- Malcolm Henry Liddell-Grainger (born 14 December 1967); married Helen Bright on 1 August 1994. They have a child:
- Cameron Henry Liddell-Grainger (born 14 April 1997)
Mrs Liddell-Grainger later became a devout Christian, and served as a missionary in Africa. She settled in Kennington, south London, where she is engaged in Christian charity work. She is in the line of succession to the British Throne as a great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. She is a second cousin of Queen Elizabeth II.
|Ancestors of Anne Liddell-Grainger|
- Sayid, Ruki. ""Meet Anne..she's a Brixton charity worker and the Queen's secret cousin.."". Daily Mirror.
|Lines of succession|
| Line of succession to the British throne
descended from Leopold, son of Victoria